All In One Software woes.

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

All In One Software woes.

This question is not answered

Hi, out there!

I finally broke down and bought print cartridges, in order to set up my 948 AIO, so I can use the scanner.  Everything works great, but as far as I can tell there is no facility to save profiles of scanner and printer settings.  I have a large amount of text and imagery to scan, to multiple applications, and having the "All In One Center" default back to "Microsoft Paint" (Which I hate), and color photo @ 300 Dpi; which is way to low for a color photo in the first place.

I know This is not necessarily the right place to voice this, but I hope that someone from the right department at Dell is reading this.

Here are some suggestions:

Change the "What is being scanned / printed?" sections, to "Pick a scan / print profile", and add a "Custom" entry, where the advanced settings appear, so that the user can pick options and then save the profile, with a unique name, to any location of his / her choosing.  Once saved the profile should appear in the "Pick a scan / print profile", which should be a scrollable list with thumbnail images.

Add a configuration tab where one can change program behaviors... For instance I noticed that when I scan to my graphics program, and save the file from there, the Dell software also saves a .jpg in 'My Pictures", which I can not control, now I have to waste my time deleting these unwanted Images; where the software hung, when I tried to shift click in order to select a block of doc's, a basic windows function Dell should understand by now !  Oh and click n' drag does not work either, one has to delete each file individually.  Of course I am smart enough to use my file manager to delete the images in one go, but 'Come On Man'!

and there's more...  For now, I will look for and hope that there is a way to circumvent the All In One center all together.

Any solutions, who best to address this to, and where do I do that?

It would be nice if there were more replies to this post, from people who agree with me, or have the same / similar issues, rather than getting useless emotionally driven opinions, without solutions, from people who have little or no idea of what hardware, software and even some programmers are capable of or not.

I am of the thinking that the dumbing down of society is not a conspiracy, but rather a trend, but it needs to stop now.

All Replies
  • BobZoid,

A couple of things. I can help you scan to any program you want. try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

If memory serves me correctly, after you open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanned images or scanning and copying. I think you can save the images to a different folder. I think as a backup, documents are also saves by date and time to the document folder and picturs to the pictures folder.

I scan to IrfanView and can edite the images(if needed) before saving them.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hi Rick, glad to hear from You again, I manually added some programs & file types to the list, only one does not seem to respond: Open Office, I can send images to it from AIO center, but Open Office can not communicate with 948 for scans on it's own..

My real problem, is that I feel cheated out of features and options that should be under my control.  I mean:

How long does a company have to make devices and software for them, until they finally get it right.  Computers are so versatile, that a one size fits all approach borders on insanity!

• BobZoid,

You should be able to scan to Open Office from the printer, unless you don't have the OCR Program installed.

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe

Save file type as .rtf

Start, all programs, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint

Is the above program installed?

Your Dell Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark, so Dell can only offer what they were given.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• I understand branding, and did not use names on purpose, but the same counts for lots of companies, not just Lexmark, and Dell very most likely has the option to request specific software options, from Lexmark, or whoever makes the software.  My biggest Beef is With M$ Windows 7!

All to often, and with most software and hardware these days, including cameras, smart phones and other devices, I see a trend, to not only not bother the user with details they may not understand, but topping it off by removing advanced settings and features completely, in order to protect ignorant people from them selves, despite the fact that there are plenty of people, that do know very well what they are doing, and need to manipulate the details, for all kinda' reasons, with a great need to save and recall settings and preferences easily.  If they have to lead people like me to a secret advanced version of a software via a puzzle that proves my worthiness, than so be it, just give those of us with an IQ higher than 65 something to work with too.

My settings for Open Office are correct, and Abby Fine Reader is installed.  So what next?  I can find, and solve that puzzle, on my own, but do appreciate any help, without You having to go out of Your way of course.  You are a fine person.

• BobZoid,

I don't think you can scan directly using Open Office. I have always scanned the documents from the printer, then select which program to scan to. The OCR Program is needed to scan and fax, unless you're scanning an image. I think Microsoft Office can do that function, but it may have it's own OCR Program that comes with it.

A lot of times, with Windows 7, you can install many things using Vista drivers and installing them in the Vista Compatibility mode. Some people attach the device before installing the drivers and sometimes the generic drivers do not work. In some cases they need removed. Cameras and printers, then instructions are basically the same, Manual Printer Driver Removal Using the uninstaller in programs and features first, then restarting the computer to finish the installation. The difference with printers are that a stuck print job in the queue, allows you to go through the motions but with the new installation, then problem is still there.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed and really like it. For smartphones, you usually need to install drivers from a disk or the manufacturers website before they get attached to the computer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I have many ways around things, and Microsoft office is the last thing I want littering my PC!  As a matter of fact, I would be using Linux not Windows, If it were not for my professional sound card (I am recording an album), that has no Linux drivers.  As soon as there is one that works I will make the switch!  Now that brings up a new question:  Will the dell printer be compatible?  If not I will burn it in public display and protest!

I hate Microsoft with a passion!  And because I have worked on and with computers since ~1979 I don't like most of the rest of the industry either, for many very good reasons, the most resent one being Social Media.  When people surround themselves with virtual, instead of real friends, then there is not only something wrong, but all to often something does go wrong as a result.  And I can only report from experience that more and more people are disconnected from the real world in favor of one full of deceit!

My IQ, is so high, that I am too smart to pay Mensa dues!  If only the masses could realize how much one can do with a PC and some software.  I am recording an Album of music, doing the artwork, preparing the marketing for release... most of with the PC, but most of all, by myself.  None of which would not be possible without understanding computing basics.  It is essential to come up with workarounds, for common problems like file format to program compatibility...

Most people can not get around to understanding where the internet ends and the PC begins!  To me that is sad, and says a lot against our failing education system.  If one can trick people into believing that they can become anything they want to be, while completely disregarding reality, then it should also be possible to trick people into understanding a file system and other things, that are essential to good computing.

• BobZoid,

The Dell 948 printer is an older model. Windows only, unless you can find drivers on Lexmark's website that work.

Not sure if the print app from Google chrome will allow you to print from Linux or not. Unless you can somehow use this app. Dell Mobile Print App

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Stop already Rick, I don't need any more advice on using using the 948!  I can figure it out my self, and already have for the most part.  I also hate Google chrome, and all the other Google stuff, because they are nothing but tracking devices, used to serve industry, and even worse, is the way other software tries to sneak Google stuff onto Your PC, If You don't watch out.

Nothing You can say here will improve the All In One software.