dell v313 won't communicate with Dell via USB printer cord with Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

dell v313 won't communicate with Dell via USB printer cord with Dell Inspiron 1545 Windows 7

This question is not answered

Hi,

Working on my Mom's Dell laptop and cannot get it to communicate with the V313 by USB cord.  Removed device and reloaded new driver R269722, still no luck.  I've searched forum but they seem to deal more with wireless.  I also tried a different USB cord which I know works on another computer to printer setup.  Printer works fine as I can print test page using the printer controls.  The printer shows up as the default printer but no communication.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Curt

All Replies
  • Curt,

Was your mothers computer(make and model and operating system, 32-bit or 64-bit)upgraded to Windows 7 or did it come with it.

What virus protection and firewall are you using?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• 64 bit  on a new computer just bought.  The virus is McAfee but I did try turning the virus off, no difference.

• Curt,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the Dell Printer disk and follow the instructions. At some point it will ask you to connect the printer(powered on)

Also try reading...

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Ok,  I don't have the disk as I just dl'd the drivers.  I'll have to see if we can find the disk.  I'll let you know how this all works.  Thanks.

• Curt,

You can download the drivers from...

Dell V313 All-In-One Printer owners thread

With the computer online, Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode

Without the printer disk, you'll need to install an OCR Program to be able to scan documents.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Ok, thanks.  Have a nice Labor Day!

• Curt,

If you need an OCR Program, please click on the blue and ask me for suggestions for the OCR Program. I'll see what I can do for you.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• OK, I did find the disk.  It asked me to update online which I did.  I did the McAfee and although it was different then your info I did find the Window File Sharing and selected it.  Everything on the computer shows ready to go all things installed but when you go to print, nothing.  Same Communication error.  I know it isn't a port problem as I can show the printer icon in the device window and it's highlighted.  If I unplug the printer cord you can see it go dark.  Plug it back in and it lights up.  I have to give the laptop back to my mom for now.  Any other suggestions?  The printer is only 4 or 5 months old and maybe has worked once before the comm errors.  Thanks.

• Curt,

Excuse me if I asked this before.

On the computer, was the operating system recently installed?

How are you trying to connect the printer? USB or wireless?

How long is the usb cable?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• It's a new computer with Win 7 64 bit.  USB cord about 6 ft. long.

• Curt,

You can print, correct?

To scan, you have to open the program on your computer. It varies from printer to printer. I'm guessing that you have Dell Printer home, maybe Dell Imaging toolbox or the Dell All-In-One Center.

Make sure to Update list of applications to send scans to if using Dell Printer Home or Dell All-In-One Center. You cannot use the functions on the printer unless you have it setup for wireless.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I'm thinking you have me mixed up with someone else.  I can't print as I get the Communication not available error.

• Curt,

These instructions should work.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the Dell Printer disk and follow the instructions. At some point it will ask you to connect the printer(powered on)

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

• You already gave me this and that's what my last post was about.  None of this worked, it still says Printer can't communicate with computer.

• Curt,

Disconnect all usb devices.

Go
    to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties,
    left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the
    top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that
    section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and
    correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard
    may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Try the procedure again. If that doesn't work, then try a diferent usb cable.

Rick

#DellRockStar