Need help installing V305 wireless printer (USB issue?)

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Need help installing V305 wireless printer (USB issue?)

This question is not answered

I should start by saying that I have had this printer for a couple of years, and have had several problems with it!  This time, we changed some things with our wireless internet, so I needed to update this info with my printer for it to still connect to my laptop.  The problem is, it doesn't seem to be working with the USB cable anymore either.  I tried several times to print with the USB knowing that the wireless connection was no longer working.  Everything would seem to be working, the print job would pop up, the progress bar would start moving, but would stop every time at 99% complete....it won't print.  I've tried all of the trouble shooting I can with the "printer service center," but without being able to solve the problem, it tells me that I might need to replace the USB cable.  I really don't think that is the problem since the print job STARTS...I just can't figure out why it wont print. So...I uninstalled the printer and am trying to reinstall it now, but I keep getting to the step that says to plug in the USB cable.  I can't click "next" because I don't think it's recognizing the connection.  But I can see it in the list if I try to "safely remove hardware."  So I'm back to wondering if there is a problem with my USB cable, or what I can do to get past this step.  I need to be able to connect the laptop and printer via USB cable in order to set up the wireless connection.  Please help!!!

All Replies
  • mmbangen,

A stuck print job in the queue will cause problems.Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer.

You did have this connected before, try going in your wireless router and change the channel to channel 11. If for any reason you made changes other than the channel, then you'll need to setup the printer like new.I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings,I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

With the computer online, imnsert the printer disk and follow the instructions.Choose that it's a new installation, then follow the instructions.

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks Rick.  I did delete all print jobs and that did not solve the problem.  I uninstalled the printer, and am in the process of reinstalling it from scratch (as if a new installation).  Now I'm stuck at the point where you connect the printer and computer via USB cable.  It is connected, but the computer/installation program doesn't seem to recognize that it is.  Are you suggesting that if I change my router setting, it would resolve THIS issue?  I would hate to mess with that and screw up internet access for the MAC laptop in my house (which is what we had to make changes for in the first place).  

Thanks,

Michelle

• mmbangen,

Please remove any memory cards that are in the printer. Sometimes they can cause a conflict, so removing them after you get the pictures off helps.

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer.

Open your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

With the computer online, insert the printer disk and install the printer. Choose new installation, then follow the instructions. The printer should connect to your network.

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick 

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!