Dell 946 USB not recognized

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 946 USB not recognized

This question is not answered

I have chased through all of these threads and tried all of the directions on removing and re-installing the drivers but nothing has worked.  I have an ACER computer with Windows 7 and am trying to install a Dell 946 printer.  As soon as I plug the cable into the USB port, I get a message that states the the USB device is not recognized, and in the body of the error it states that the item malfunctioned and the USB port is being disabled.  I have re-booted. removed and attempted to re-install the drivers in the compatibility mode, but as soon as I get to the plug the printer in, it gives me the same USB error and will not allow me to finish the install of the drivers.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  This printer workes fne with the Dell Inspiron running Windows XP.

Thanks

Dale

All Replies
  • Dale,

Your Acer, was it purchased with Windows 7 or upgraded to Windows 7?

Laptop or desktop. Make and model is helpful and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit?

What firewall and virus program are you using?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• The computer is an laptop Acer Aspire 5734Z.  Windows 7 64 bit loaded.  Running Panda virus.

• Dale,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

If this computer was upgraded to Windows 7, did you install the chipset drivers from the manufacturers website?

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers and install them using the Compatibility mode. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick,

The computer came with Windows 7 loaded and I have updated it with both Windows 7 updates and Acer updates.  As stated first, I have gone through your threads and have removed any drivers with the above utility, but the computer will not load the drviers fully because when I get to where it tells you to plug in the printer the USB malfunction notice is given and you can not continue the install.  I do not have any pending prints.  I have powered off the printer and the computer to include removing the battery, and re-started both.  No luck, I keep getting to the point where it tells me to plug in the printer in both Vist compatability mode and XP compatibility mode, and I still get the USB error.

Thanks

Dale

• Dale,

I know this sounds old but try it this way.

Run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Now do this...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

This should fix any issues with the USB Ports, since this is a laptop.

Turn off the Panda Firewall.

Before installing the printer, The drivers I am providing are for English (US). If you are using a language other than English (US) then we need to use different drivers. If using English (US) Operating system, then download the Vista 64-bit drivers and save them to your desktop. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Compatibility mode You should get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on). Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

What happens with Panda's Firewall turned off?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

Thank you for your time.  I spent the day Sunday going through all of these, and some other suggestions that I found on-line, and none of them worked.  After spending the better part of three days, I threw in the towel and went to the local electronics store and bought a printer that stated it was windows 7 compatable.  When we got it home we pluged it in and got a similar message, we turned around and went back to the store to return it or have it installed.  They tried and they could not get it installed.  Come to find out it was Windows 7 - 32 bit capable.  So I am thinking that it has to do with the Windows 7 64 bit loaded on a new computer that is actually a full 64 bit system.  We exchanged that new printer for a Windows 7 - 64 bit printer, and pluged it in and it worked like a champ.  The Dell goes in the recycling bin. 

Thanks again

Dale

• Rick

I have the same issue and like the OP have followed your instructions (several times) on this and other threads without success. I have a Dell XPS 8100 running Win 7 x64 Home Premium SP1 and a 946 AIO printer

I've tried three different driver packs from Dell and compatability modes from XP through to Vista 64, I've uninstalled and cleaned over a dozen times but every time I plug the printer USB in I get a meesage "Unrecognised USB device". I have at least 6 USB slots and have tried several. I have 4 other USB devices which work just fine.

As a work around I've got the printer plugged into the old XP machine, it was originally on, and can print from the Win 7 machine via the network. Not an ideal solution and it throws "she who must be obeyed" every time she prints. "What do you mean I have to turn on another computer just to print?"Huh?

According to the printer test page the drivers for the network install are in an x64 directory so it appears that I've been able to install a 64 bit driver just can't get the USB to recognise that it has a printer on the end of it.

Although the printer doeasn't owe me anything and a new one is cheeper than my time in mucking about trying to fix it, we have about 15 cartridges of ink still to use which triggers my waste alarm.

A fix would be good.

Cheers

Kim

• Kim,

Was your Dell XPS 8100 upgraded to Windows 7 or did it come with Windows 7?

What virus protection and firewall are you using?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick

Thanks for your response.

It came with Win7 as a clean install.

Virus -  McAfee which came with the system and which I'll replace with AVG or AdAware free when the trial expires.

Firewall - standard windows

The machines all sit behind a router with firewall so I'm not over the top with these.

Since posting, I have installed the printer it on a second younger XP machine so I could retire the old XP and free up my last network connection. I installed it clean and when I got to the installation screen that asked me to turn on the printer and connect the USB I did that and got an unrecognised USB device message on XP as well and the driver install refused to enable the next button. I disconnected the printer and turned it off then plugged in the USB with the printer turned off. XP recognised it as a Dell 946 and the installation package was happy and allowed me to continue. I skipped all the options that involved printing (print head alignment and test page) and finished the install. The installation package then went off  for an hour and searched the 3Tb of drives on the machine for compatible software and finally came back and said it was done. I turned on the printer then went to Printers & Faxes and from the printing preferences dialogue of the Dell 946 I printed a test page and all worked well. So I thought that having the printer turned on when I first plugged it in might also be upsetting Win7. I went to the Win7 machine and ran the Dell printer uninstall, rebooted, reset the compatibility mode to Vista SP2 and when I got to the install screen asking me to turn on and connect the printer I plugged it in without turning it on but alas Unrecognised USB device again. I then did a network install using the Dell printer install software and although it could see the printer and host computer after being told what it was I could not print a test page or communicate with the printer even though I enabled the bidirectional comms as requested. I deleted that printer from the Printers and Devices panel and just did a manual add printer, added a network printer and printed a test page just fine.

Not sure if any of that will actually help you but better too much information than not enough.

Cheers

Kim

• Kim,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 946 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Thanks Rick

I did all the above (again), this time paying particular attention to the firewall instructions and still get "USB device not recognised". I selected Vista SP2 compatability if that makes any difference.

I then turned the McAfee firewall off altogether and still got that message.

I don't suppose there are firmware variations on the 946 that could be causing the difference between what you are expecting and what I am getting? The test page from maintenance tells me ours has code level WIL_C071006_00 with a date of 7/10/06. I looked on the Dell site and could not see any links to firmware for this model printer although there are references out in Google land of people applying firmware updates to it.

Cheers

Kim

• Kim,

Try running Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick

Here you go.

Host Name:                 WHITEDELL

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation

OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free

Registered Owner:          kim

Registered Organization:   Microsoft

Product ID:                

Original Install Date:     27/08/2011, 8:39:07 AM

System Boot Time:          11/09/2011, 8:37:59 PM

System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.

System Model:              Studio XPS 8100

System Type:               x64-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2801 Mhz

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. A03, 9/12/2009

Windows Directory:         C:\Windows

System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2

System Locale:             en-au;English (Australia)

Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)

Time Zone:                 (UTC+08:00) Perth

Total Physical Memory:     6,103 MB

Available Physical Memory: 4,610 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size:  12,204 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 10,491 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:    1,713 MB

Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys

Domain:                    EXPLORE

Logon Server:              \\WHITEDELL

Hotfix(s):                 51 Hotfix(s) Installed.

[01]: 982861

[02]: KB971033

[03]: KB2305420

[04]: KB2393802

[05]: KB2425227

[06]: KB2476490

[07]: KB2479943

[08]: KB2484033

[09]: KB2488113

[10]: KB2491683

[11]: KB2492386

[12]: KB2503665

[13]: KB2505438

[14]: KB2506014

[15]: KB2506212

[16]: KB2506928

[17]: KB2507618

[18]: KB2508272

[19]: KB2509553

[20]: KB2510531

[21]: KB2511250

[22]: KB2511455

[23]: KB2515325

[24]: KB2518869

[25]: KB2522422

[26]: KB2524375

[27]: KB2529073

[28]: KB2532531

[29]: KB2533552

[30]: KB2536275

[31]: KB2536276

[32]: KB2539635

[33]: KB2541014

[34]: KB2544893

[35]: KB2545698

[36]: KB2547666

[37]: KB2552343

[38]: KB2555917

[39]: KB2556532

[40]: KB2559049

[41]: KB2560656

[42]: KB2562937

[43]: KB2563227

[44]: KB2563894

[45]: KB2567680

[46]: KB2570791

[47]: KB2607712

[48]: KB958488

[49]: KB976902

[50]: KB976932

[51]: KB982018

Network Card(s):           1 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

Connection Name: Local Area Connection

DHCP Enabled:    Yes

DHCP Server:     192.168.1.254

IP address(es)

[01]: 192.168.1.6

[02]: fe80::a472:3fe8:9014:22f4

Cheers

Kim

• Kim,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer

Restart your computer.

Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Operating system installed is in English, correct?

I see that the operating system was recently installed.

Try downloading and installing in this order.

Intel Ibex Peak H57 Chipset

Broadcom BCM57780 LOM

Atheros Wireless 1525 WLAN Mini Card Desktops

Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module

After everything is installed, restart your computer.

Download the Vista 64-bit Drivers.

Install Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Remember to make sure the printer is allowed past McAfee.

Rick

Rick

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
    Original Install Date:     27/08/2011, 8:39:07 AM
    System Boot Time:          11/09/2011, 8:37:59 PM
    System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.
    System Model:              Studio XPS 8100
    System Type:               x64-based PC
    Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                               [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2801 Mhz

BIOS Version:              Dell Inc. A03, 9/12/2009
    Network Card(s):           1 NIC(s) Installed.
                               [01]: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
                                    Connection Name: Local Area Connection
                                   DHCP Enabled:    Yes
                                     DHCP Server:     192.168.1.254
                                    IP address(es)
                                   [01]: 192.168.1.6
                                     [02]: fe80::a472:3fe8:9014:22f4

#DellRockStar

• Thanks Rick

I will have to wait until I'm home tonight to try these but while I'm waiting I'll check that it is worth downloading the two wireless drivers. This is a desktop and does not have a wireless adapter.  Although it came with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and USB bluetooth adapter, the mouse was a bit too small so I use wired ones instead and all the bluetooth stuff is in its box in the garage. In case it helps here's the specs as bought.

DELL, Studio XPS 8100 Midi Tower, Black/White, Intel Core i7-860 Processor (2.80GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 8MB Cache), 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz, Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability, 1792MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 260 (Dual DVI, TV-Out), Integrated Intel(R) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Networking, 8 USB Ports, Power Cords, 1TB-7,200RPM Hard Drives, Built-in 19-in-1 Media Card Reader, Hauppauge(R) WinTV-HVR-1200 Hybrid Analog/Digital TV Tuner, Dell(TM) Consumer Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle, Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit Edition (English)

Cheers

Kim