Dell Printer 948 says Cover Open

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Printer 948 says Cover Open

This question is not answered

I have had my dell 948 printer a little over 2 years and I rarely use it...And today I went to turn it on and I get a message on the LCD screen saying cover open and its not open..I have tried everything I unplugged it and unstalled the software and I opened and closed the cover a hundred times and no luck called dell and they couldn't help me since my warranty has expired..She suggested that I buy another printer meanwhile I just bought a ton of ink for this printer.....Please can anyone help?

Thanks Rick

All Replies
  • Rick,

Open the printer and look, there should be a plastic piece protruding and it should hit a switch. Examine the switch and see if it's bent or something lodged under it.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Pudgyone,

Thanks for your help checked the plastic piece and it looks ok and nothing is logged in the switch and it still say cover open..it worked fine the other day and I haven't opened the cover before this problem.........Rick

• I was able to figure out the problem the cover hinge on the right side in the back of the cover was cracked I had to remove both hinges from the cover to get it to close and problem solved.....I just need to be careful when I open the cover to change the ink...................Rick

• Rick,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• i have exactly the same problem with my hinge and your post is a help.

just to be on the safe side can you please tell me exactly what you did to fix it, thanks.

• I have this problem now, too. Dell is no help as my warranty has expired. Yep, I have those plastic hinges and it is the one on the left (as you are facing the printer) that has the problem. There doesn't seem to be anything cracked, but the two white plastic pieces don't come together like the ones on the right. I can even see a black spring beneath one. I can't see how it is supposed to go together, even with looking at the hinge that still works.

The really stupid thing is that I was sitting right here when it went "SNAP" and the cover popped up. It wasn't like I broke it, it broke itself!

• I couldnt fix this problem when it happened to me so i just took certain parts of the hinges out so that the lid would close without the error message and now i just continue on like that. If you take a close look at the hinges, it may mean unscrewing some screws, but you will be able to easiliy figure out which parts to remove to get the lid to lay down flat properly. The only draw back with this is the lid will never be able to be proped open again, but that can be lived with. 

• I did just what Mandromedac did and it works fine now but when you go to change the ink cartridges you just have to be careful and

make sure that the lid is closed properly....I will never ever buy a dell printer again that's for sure..

• I finally managed to remove one white plastic part of the hinge and a black spring (about 5.5 cm long) under it. Now the cover closes perfectly fine. The thing that really bothers me is that printer went "SNAP" when I was sitting next to it, and the cover popped up, rendering it useless. Now, there's a feature: A suicidal printer. In a multiple person home or office, there would be lots of finger pointing as to who broke the printer.

Meanwhile, now my "all in one" printer no longer scans. I used to use "ABBY Fine Reader" but somehow, unplugging the printer and removing the hinge has managed to break the software.

God I hate computers, printers, and their software.

• Its odd how the printer suddenly goes snap without warning, thats how it happened with me. And then Del expects us to buy a new printer when all one has to do is remove an obvious part in order to get it working again. Plus when you consider how expensive a Del replacement would be or an independant repair would cost, it makes one think about Del's effics. I mean i repaired mine myself, total cost zero.

• Same deal here - loud SNAP! then the cover wouldn't close. Called in my super-husband who not only removed the white plastic piece and black spring (w/o having to remove any screws) but also suggested using a pencil (or similar "tool") to prop the lid open when changing ink cartridges. I inserted a pencil into the screw hole closest to the front of the unit on the side with the broken hinge and can use both hands to change cartridges. NOW I feel it's safe to order new cartridges w/o fear of having to get a new printer before they arrive! :^]

• Thank You!!  I actually pointed the finger to my 8 year old daughter - oops!  I removed both coils and it works just fine now - I was ready to just give up and buy another printer since this one is no longer under warranty...  so glad I checked this out first!!

• I have the same problem today.  The cover is not open.  I looked for a protruding switch as the other post suggested but could not see on.  I notice that the lower section where the ribbons are will not stay up all the way as it does when you are changing ribbons.  Did anybody solve this?  I too just bought a lot of ink and my printer is used little.  If I have to buy a new one, it will NOT be a Dell.

• There should be 2 coils (one on each side) on the back of the printer.  If you remove them it should work fine - it took me FOREVER to figure that out!

• The same problem with V505. Hopefully it will work without the coil. The manual is absolutely useless. BTW, is there a timer within the device, to snap and make you buy a new printer when the warranty expires?   Can anyone tell me what is the next piece to go?

Dellafobe