926 printer will not FAX

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

926 printer will not FAX

This question is not answered

I have Verizon DSL internet connection.  Running Vista. Cannot FAX using my 926 All-In-One.  The document will scan but then I get the dialogue "searching for modems", then the error message: "Cannot communicate with PC fax-modem; try these solutions...(1)Connect your Fax modem to your PC using modem cable if not already connected (2) Install corresponding modem driver if not already installed (3) Close all other applications which may use the fax modem  (4) Update your modem software"

Question:  under (1), do I have to purchase a separate Fax modem?  is that the problem?  or?

-------------------------------

When I try the option to "FAX using PC modem":  it will scan but will not do anyting else; no error message, nothing.

------------------------------

When trying both of these above options, I tried it with and without a " DSL filter" on the connecting telephone line.

Thanks!

All Replies
  •  Helpless56,

Your setup should be...

Wall > DSL Modem/router > wireless router(if any) > wired/wireless

You need a DSL Filter on all devices, phones, answering machines, faxes, etc..., everything except the DSL modem.

You can share a DSL Filter.

wall > DSL Filter > Splitter > Multiple devices

You need to have a DSL filter from the wall, phone line, then your phone jack on your computer.

The Dell 926 Printer manual has the instructions on how to fax.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Rick,

My setup is:   wall> (no filter) DSL modem>cpu   

From what  I can tell from manuals and visual inspection, I do not have telephone input jacks on my printer or my cpu.

continued thanks,

Gene

• Rick,

forgot to add,  I have a  Dell  XPS  420  cpu.

• Rick,

upon further reading of the XPS manual, it says if I were to use "dialup" internet service, i should plug the telephone line into the jack where a modem would normally plug in.  OK, I get that, but, with the DSL, I do have a modem so I need that jack.    Should  i  put a splitter in the jack and run the modem from one side and a filtered telephone line into the other?

•  Helpless56,

Helpless56
    Should  i  put a splitter in the jack and run the modem from one side and a filtered telephone line into the other?

That will work. Remember the DSL MOdem does NOT get a DSL Filter. EVERYTHING else plugged in needs a DSL Filter, be it your dialup modem on your computer or the modem on the printer, if there is one.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• OK, I'll try it, thanks.