Installing Dell 922 Printer driver on windows 7

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Installing Dell 922 Printer driver on windows 7

This question is answered

I followed the instructions posted on this forum for installing the 922 printer drivers.  I got stuck in 2 places:

1. After downloading the zipped driver files, I tried unzipping them and got this message: "This self-extracting zip file is part of a multidisk zip file.  Please insert the last disk of the set."  Because the zip file was downloaded from the Dell site I have no disk.  I clicked OK and got another error message" An error occurred while unzipping... code is 110".

I read about another person with the same problem who unzipped the file in Windows XP and copied the unzipped results to the Windows 7 computer.  I did the same.

2. I ran the driver setup on the Windows 7 computer.  I got the regular confirmation screens (select "Personal Installation", agree with license agreement).  The driver installation progress bar pops up, and the bars fill to about half way, and then the window closes without a "finished" message.  So it looks like the driver installation worked - at least part of the way. 

In the control panel "Device and Printers" the Dell Photo AIO 922 shows up with a warning triangle, the troubleshoot guide says there is no driver installed, and the troubleshoot process is unable to find a driver for the printer.

I'd rather not purchase a new printer - I don't need more than the 922, but I'm at a loss to get it to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Verified Answer
  • Chris,

Disconnect the printer.

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista drivers, using Internet Explorer, that matches your operating system. Vista 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit for Windows 64-bit.

Install the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at 922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

All Replies
  • Chris,

Disconnect the printer.

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista drivers, using Internet Explorer, that matches your operating system. Vista 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit for Windows 64-bit.

Install the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at 922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Thanks for the clear instructions.  I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time around, but I followed each step to the letter, and this time it worked.

Thanks again.

Chris

• Chris,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick, hi

I've been trying to install Dell 922 fon WIndows 7 following the instructions on this website: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19306920.aspx

I removed old connection to t he 922 printer manually and also ran a Removal patch (just in case). I re-started my PC and tried installing the printer by clicking on setup.exe. I did change compatibility to Vista (SP2) and ran it as administrator. When the setup stopped running, the printer was showing in the printer panel with an error. Error was telling me that the driver could not be found. I repeated the afore-mentioned process several times and the end result was the same..... I always get an error that the driver for the printer can not be found

Could you please let me know what I might be doing wrong

Thank you

dasha  

• Dasha,

Try reading...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager and download the drivers using Internet Explorer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick

Thank you for providing the above link

I followed all the steps but unfortunately failed to install the driver yet again...

Once I've downloaded the R151379 file from the DELL site, which Setup.exe file should I start first? I've noticed there are several in the folder. I always click on  the Setup.exe Launcher first

Thank you for your response in advance

dasha

• dasha,

Did you try the setup.exe in the compatibility mode? The right click again and run as administrator?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Pudgy

Many, many thanks for these posts - especially your reply to chrisb2002 posted on 12 May 2010.

After days trying to install my Dell AIO 922 printer on my new Windows 7 PC, your post (followed scrupulously, as chrisb2002 says) finally did the trick.

Cheers Mate !   ; - )

• peterpiper2,

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I have Windows 7 Pro on my Dell 530 PC.  The Vista version of the 922 print driver installed perfectly (the second time around).

• Richard Kohn,

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar