setting up wireless printer

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

setting up wireless printer

This question is not answered

I am just wondering what I all need to get to set up a printer wirelessly to my Dell Laptop.  It has the bluetooth thing, and wifi (i think).  It is a Studio 17 and I got it in October 2009.  I haven't ever set up something like this, so I want to know just what I will all need to set up the stuff.  The printer I am looking at getting is Dell P513w Wireless All In One Printer.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

All Replies
  • stacyn,

It really depends on what you want to use it for and your needs. The P513w works on a wireless network as well(much fatsre than bluetooth) The USB Bluetooth adapter is usually extra.

I have a Dell V715w Printer and I have it setup on my wireless network. My home setup is...

wall > isp modem/router > Linksys Router WRT54GS > wired/wireless

Since you have a laptop, a wireless G router is better for communications. A wireless N router is faster, if you have a wireless N card in the computer, but then the printer might not work on the wireless N network. I'd stick with wireles G for now.

In the wireless router, make sure to use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11, and you shouldn't have any problems connecting any wireless devices to it. 

Any questions, please feel free to ask. This is my weekenbd to work, so my responces may sometimes be a little delayed.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Since it is already wireless and you have a wireless network all ready setup, then if it is as simple as my Epson workforce was to setup, you will most likely have to first direct connect it to the computer to install the necessary drivers and then when done just pull the cable out and it will be all ready.  Just be sure to follow the instructions that come with it as some installs require the printer to not be connected to the computer untill directed to by the software.

And I am running my "G" Epson print on my "N" wireless network with no issues.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Dave,

Thanks, I'm glad you came along. I'm sure you can help walk them through this. My weekend to work, so won't be around much.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• So I will need to get a router then?  I have DSL and my wireless modem is by the upstairs computer.  This is a set up for downstairs, so I need to figure out all the things I need...like will I need the router?  Or how do I find out what I have in reference to a wireless N router or wireless G router....its another language or something.....wow....thanks for the help so far.

• stacyn,

Well, not really. The printer will work with the ad-hoc method but you have to manually connect to the printer every time you restart your computer, when you want to print. A wireless router, Linksys, Netgear, just to name a few help with connecting to the internet as well as wireless devices, like printers, iPods and other wireless devices.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• OK lets get some facts straight.

You currently have a wireless modem so that is good that means you have a wireless network already.

How is your laptop currently connected? Are you connected to the wireless network? If so your 75% there already. 

All we will have to do is configure the printer to connect to the wireless network that you currently have. Again this will most likely involve installing the printer drivers on each computer that you will wish to use to connect to the printer to print. Normally this is done by the installtion disk.

I belive you mentioned you have a upstairs computer so that would be the one to use to initially setup the printer to connect to the network. That is the way I setup my Epson printer. and i can while the printer is upstairs and the laptop is downstairs I can print wirelessly from either my desktop or my laptop through the wireless network.

The advantage of having a printer with built in wireless is that you do not need to use a wireless print server to accomplish this which can bring up a whole bunch of more issues.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

• What I want to do is have the printer in the same room with the laptop.  So if I understand you correctly, I could still so this as you said, and have the printer down by they laptop?  The desktop computer doesn't have any wireless capabilities to it so that doesn't matter and is why the modem is up by that computer.

• That can be entirely possible. that is one of the beauties  of wireless. just like you can use your laptop anywhere you want the same will be true for the printer. The only thing that will mean is you would not be able to access the printer from the desktop unless you add in a wireless adapter.

Forum member since 2003

• only need the laptop to use it anyway, there is another printer set up for the desktop.  Can I hook that printer to the modem and make that accessible to the laptop too?  or does it have to have the wireless in it itself too?  Its an older HP all in one printer (1310 I think).

• yes you can at this point possibly set up the connected printer as a network printer. This can be a bit tricky though..

Forum member since 2003

• What is the OS running on the desk top?

Forum member since 2003

• Windows XP on the desktop (HP)

Windows Vista on the laptop (Dell)

• Setting up file and printer sharing on XP

Setting up file and printer sharing on Vista

Forum member since 2003

• Hey thanks!  I will see if I can get this to work...I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks so much for your help (and quick responses!)

• You are welcome . Between either me or Rick(Pudy one) we'll get you working.

Forum member since 2003