Print Spooler Service Keeps Crashing - Printers Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Print Spooler Service Keeps Crashing

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Print Spooler Service Keeps Crashing

This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a Dell R610 server running Windows server 2008 Ent. SP2. This is a Terminal Server. We have the following printers installed on it..

Dell 2330dn

Dell 2335dn

Dell 5330dn

Dell 3115dn

When ever anyone prints to or maps to the 5330, the print spooler crashes. All of the other printers work fine and do not crash the print spooler. I have tried re-installing the driovers from the print server as well as manually installing the drivers. I have 4 other TS with the same printers mapped with no issues. They are also running the same OS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All Replies
  • I am having an identical problem to this. Dell PowerEdge 2900 with Windows Server 2008. We have (3) Dell 2350dn, (1) Dell 2330dn and a Dell 3130cn. Almost every time a user prints to these printers, the spooler crashes. Then no one can print to any printer until the spooler restarts. I do not have this issue with any of our other printers (HP mostly).

I have tried all new ports, all new drivers, the Dell Open Print Drivers. Nothing helps. I even made sure to give the printers a new name when changing drivers, so that they would be certain to use the new one. I'm nearly at the end of my rope with these printers. If Dell would like us to purchase 5 more printers in the future, they need to get this fixed.

• OK similar problem, smaller scale. Dell 2150cdn printer, will not print certain web pages (Google maps and the Taxation Dept!!), OK with other web pages. Crashes the Print spooler requiring a restart of the service before any other printing can be done.

I set it to print direct to printer but still the same problem. May have something to do with whatever scripts are running on those pages.  

Had to pull out the discarded old Brother printer and put it back into action to print these specific web pages.

Surely this is a printer driver problem???

• OK, I have a workaround for my version of this problem, hopefully can help others.

I installed the Dell open print driver (version R299079.msi) which, unlike the poster above actually works for me.  I do not have as much control over the printer but at least it works now. And seems to work for all other PC's on the network that were having the same issue.

I still think Dell needs to work on the official printer driver, as clearly that is the problem.

(I am using Windows 7 32-bit, IE8, on Dell XPS 420, 630i and 720 systems)

• GavinNZ,

Are you using a print server of any sort? I'm thinking of possibly taking the print server out of the loop entirely and installing the drivers directly on the 10 or so workstations that use this printer group.

Another thing I noticed was that the newer 2350dn printers installed WSD ports and also these printers show up in device manager, which is very strange.

-Shawn

• Finally getting some results, try this:

NOTE: Log in locally to the server if at all possible, I found some problems doing this while logged in via RDP.

1) use pnputil.exe to remove ALL dell drivers ( technet.microsoft.com/.../cc730875.aspx )

1a) delete all dell printers from "Control Panel\Printers"

1b) use Print manager to remove all dell drivers from the list, also remove any Dell ports. (WSD will be tough, see next step)

2) go into device manager and remove all Dell printers and any WSD printer ports. (note :it will try to reinstall them if you skipped step 1)

3) Double check all the above steps, things tend to reappear sometimes. There should be no Dell ports or drivers, make SURE you get rid of the WSD ports. Repeat as needed.

4) REBOOT and repeat step 3

5) Install the latest Dell Open Print Drivers (do not put the factory Dell disc anywhere near the server, in fact, chuck that into the circular file, or against the nearest wall). FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT DECOMPRESS FROM THE OPEN PRINT DRIVERS.

6) Install the individual printers, with NEW NAMES. If you use the old name, the workstations may try to use the old driver!!!

7) Deploy the "new" printers to the clients

8) Cross your fingers

• Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

• Yes, what that does is to allow the print Spooler to restart by itself, but it does not solve the underlying issue of what actually causes it to crash.

When I did as you suggested above the Print spooler would just loop stopping and restarting. In my case the cause is something to do with webpage contents (e.g. always fails when I tried to print a Google map from within IE8). It would print OK if I ran maps from Google Chrome. And most jobs print OK, just the occasional web page that causes the spooler to crash and burn. 

Anyway in my case, which may not be exactly the same issue as the original posting (close mind you) from Hoagy2112, as I said earlier changing to the Dell Open Print Driver and printing direct to printer (not using the spooler) always works OK. 

It is not ideal, takes a lot longer to print photos or complex graphics so for those jobs I retain the option to select the regular print driver (didn't uninstall it when I added the Dell Open driver) which still uses the spooler and will work for those print jobs.

GavinNZ

PS In response to Pak_Rite no I don't use a print server these days, just have all PC's print direct to 2150cdn.

• Oh dear,  I had a big print job so foolishly decided to use the print spooler on a Word doc containing one photograph, and it crashed the spooler.

So I'm just going to leave it on the Dell Open driver and put up with the slower printing.

GavinNZ