Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Setting up the Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300

This question is not answered

There is a know issue with a Belkin N router and it will not allow the Dell 3300 Wireless Printer Adapter to communicate.

The Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 works with no security, WEP Security and WPA-PSK (TKIP) Security (Personal) ONLY.

2.4GHz ONLY

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Password at least 13 characters long.

Mixed mode

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.(I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility 

This will have to be installed in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode  with Windows 7.

Right click on the setup file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista SP2. Then right click on the setup, left click run as administrator.

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Install your printer 

Install the proper drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

All Replies
  • Hi, thanks for all the helpful info here.  I have a Dell 926 printer, got one of these adapters on Ebay and am starting to think I got a lemon because I just cannot get it to connect to my network.

I originally tried it with my old Belkin G router, and am now trying it with my new Optimum (D-Link) router.  I am noticing that at certain times while running the setup wizard, the adapter's wireless light comes on, which I don't think happened with the Belkin... but it still cannot connect to the network.

Initial router settings are 2.4 GHz, Security Type: WPA+WPA2, SSID Broadcast enabled, WPS Enabled, and I am using the v.G5,A01 driver file.  Here is what I've tried:

installing on Vista PC where the printer is physically connected;

installing on Win7 laptop where the printer is accessible as a wifi network printer when the Vista PC is turned on;

full reset on the adapter (pressing test button while connecting power cable);

setting up guest wifi network, first with security type WPA+WPA2, then WEP;

adding a router IP address reservation for the printer adapter by it's Mac address.

I've also tried running the Set IP Address Utility but it doesn't find any print server; even when I put in the adapter's MAC address and click Discover, I get "Communication failure with the network print server." so I can't set the adapter's IP address or update the adapter's firmware.

The only thing I haven't tried is changing the router channel; I'm on channel 3 because that's the channel with the least neighborhood interference; also I had tried channels 1, 6 or 11 with the Belkin router but it didn't make any difference.  If channels 1, 6 or 11 make such a big difference, could you please explain why?

Thanks again!