Windows 7 Driver for Dell 948 All In One Printer

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Windows 7 Driver for Dell 948 All In One Printer

This question has suggested answer(s)

Will I be able to use this printer with Win 7? I continue to receive the "cannont communicate" error, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program and driver. Seems sad to have to buy a new printer, even tho they are inexpensive. I like the 948 features.

All Replies
  • KathyWin7,

Try following the instructions located here.

948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

The printer has been installed and working on Windows 7 as another member has gotten it to work.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I also can't get my Dell 948 printer, with latest drivers, to print properly with Windows 7 Home, although it does print with Internet Explorer 8, but only that?

Disappointed.

• Hmmm I have tried these instructions with Vista and Vista SP2 as the compatibility mode. Guess I'll try Vista SP1 and see if that works. Seemed like the printer set up just fine, as it went through all the motions but when I try to print a simple text email it gives me the communication error. Any other suggestions? Sure like my 948 but may have to get a new printer. BTW, I am a home user, not a techy!

• KathyWin7,

Glad to see you got your printer working with Windows 7. Glad you posted back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• 4 hours on the phone with Dell, all the steps listed here have been taken.  Still not working.  Any additional help?  I can't believe I have to buy a new printer. 

• kristinmb,

Since you joined in on someone elses thread, I will guess that you're using Windows 7 with your 948 printer. Since I do not know if you're connected with a USB Cable or using the wireless card in your printer, I'll give you the USB method.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) untiul it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista drivers that match your operating system, 32-bit or 64-bit. If you're not sure, then, start, control panel, system. There it will tell you 32-bit or 64-bit.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2)(You might have to try the XP compatibility mode if you have a 64-bit system). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I have been trying with a USB.  Like I said, I followed your instructions above several times.  Dell technicians did it again (two different techs, for a total of 4 hours).  No matter how many uninstall and reinstalls, disabling firewall, etc.... it does not fix the problem. I cannot print from the USB port. The driver does not load properly.

I did reconnect the printer via usb to the old, old, old Dell and using the wireless adapter card, the new dell (Studio 450) with Windows 7 found the 948 wirelessly and printed through the old, old, old Dell.  Problem is that I bought the new computer because the old Dell is circa 2001.  It takes 10 minutes to process the print job IF the computer doesn't freeze.  In other words, I updated computers to alleviate the printing issues that I was having.

Is there any other solution to this problem OTHER than what you have listed above?

• kristinmb,

What is the make and model of your computer that you're having problems with and operating system? You mention printing wirelessly and USB, so can you tell me how you have the printer connected?

Are you trying to use a host computer and print through it?

Rick

#DellRockStar