How do I connect a printer to my new Dell Vostro?

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

How do I connect a printer to my new Dell Vostro?

This question has suggested answer(s)

I cannot connect my old HP Inkjet 832C printer to my new Dell Vostro 1520 laptop because the Dell Vostro does not have the right kind of port for the printer's cable. So how do I connect a printer?  Do I need to buy a new printer that has wireless capabilities?  And, if so, how do I go about connecting it to the Dell Vostro?  Help please!   

All Replies
  • If you want to keep your existing printer, you'll need an Express Card with a parallel port on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-EXPC34-1P-34mm-Parallel-Express/dp/B001BZBPFM

Otherwise, replace the printer with a USB or USB and wireless model.  I would suggest looking at the Canon printers, which are cheaper to run than the HP models.

• Hello,

Your choices are ...

This type of adapter, a new wireless printer, or a new USB printer.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998
    Darrell's computer help and information web site
    My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• The printer is parallel, not serial - so that adapter isn't the correct one.   Even if you use a USB to parallel cable, don't count on it working properly.  Many HP printers won't work with them.  Better to install a true parallel port in the Express Card socket.

• Thanks so much!