Dell 944 AIO Windows 7 Problem

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 944 AIO Windows 7 Problem

This question is not answered

I am ready to give up and never buy a dell printer again...

I am running W7 (64bit) with a Dell 944 AIO printer.  I switched to W7 a few weeks ago from Vista 64 bit, but after a hard drive failure (my dell is only 2 months old) I had to re-install everything.  My printer USED to work, however now it wont.  I have uninstalled and re-installed almost every driver I have found out there, and have done everything I could find the forums, but NOTHING has worked.  I am growing extremely frustrated and would love for any suggestions as I know from searching out there that i'm not the only one with the problem.  

I have uninstalled the drivers, run the dell driver clean-up, tried power cycling the printer, erased everything and tried letting the computer re-install the drivers itself, and I have also tried downloading other drivers for several other similar Dell printers (along with of course trying to download the xp drivers and vista drivers).

Any suggestions ?!?!

All Replies
  • redyns1120,

Disconnect the printer and run the patch, it may or may not work. Then Manual Printer Driver Removal and restart your computer. Try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Rin the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch MUST be run on Vista machines.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have done all of the things that you mentioned, as I had seen the same post on his board when someone else was having a similar problem.  The printer is clearly connecting to the computer as the scanner function works.  Any other suggestions???

• Correction: just did the same thing twice more, and this time I selected "Vista service pack 3" and followed the steps and for some reason now it works.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

• redyns1120,

When I installed my printer, I used Vista SP2 compatibility mode and got mine working.

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• I keep trying to download the Vista 64 bit driver, and it doesn't download - the file that does into the download window says it's only about 9K, and the driver is supposed to be 55MB. I have tried numerous times, and it downloads the same way over and over. I can't, therefore, get my 944 to work with my new Vostra 1520 notebook.

• asmbooth,

You're having issues with the Dell Download manager. Here's what you need to do.

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager.  Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Also try using the instructions located at...

944 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Just found this reply to my earlier post from last year- followed your instructions and it worked!! YOU ROCK!!!!Big Smile 

thank you so much!!!

• @ Rick, aka, PudgyOne, I've never posted to a forum before, so I apologize in advance is there is an issue.

While I realize this is an older thread, I too want to thank you for taking YOUR time to post this work around for the benefit of the rest of us not as knowledgeable to be able to figure this out on our own.

After supplementing my 4-yr old Windows XP Dell laptop with a new Windows 7 Dell desktop, imagine my surprise & dismay when my DELL printer would not install. Super Angry  It never crossed my mind that printer drivers would be an issue. Come on Dell, get with it!!   It was the only hardware to experience an issue. With your guidance my Dell 944 AIO is now working.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this for the benefit of others.  You are an:  Angel

•  seaforddi,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back. I experimented with my Dell 964 Printer and found that installing the printer in the Compatibility mode with Vista drivers worked really great. Dell has a list of printers that are not compatible with Windows 7 and I have narrowed the list down but people still believe their Dell printer is ot campatible.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Hello,

I've found your instructions very helpful, but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind offering some more insight.

I'm running win7x64, and unfortunately plugged in the printer before I read these instructions.  So after reading said instructions, unplugging the printer, deleting it from Devices and Printers and then running the removal tool, I'm still having trouble.

After all that, I start Setup as Admin, wait for the part where it asks for the printer to be plugged in, then plug it in.  But windows still uses the old data it has stored away somewhere for the printer, plops it in the "Unspecified" part  of Devices and Printers, and the wizard can't see it.

Consequently, the wizard can't continue, and says the installation failed.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, and I'm not too worried about the scanner, just the printer... so if I could get the drivers for the printer and install them sans-wizard, that should work...

Thanks!

~C

•  CovenStine,

Did your computer come with Windows 7 or did you upgrade it. If an upgrade, make and model and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

You need to disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup mutility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 944 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Hey Rick,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I covered all that, at least 3 iterations by now, including the manual driver removal.  The printer isn't ever there after the tool has run, so there's nothing to delete.  I'm assuming there isn't a more thorough, truly manual, way to remove the drivers that have been installed?  It seems like the OS is reinstalling the bad drivers before the wizard can see the printer.  Can that function be turned off?

I thought maybe I could do a network install, using my XP box as a printserver, but no dice... the wizard wouldn't see the printer (yes, i was all connected- I was VNC-controlling the XP-box so I know they were working, and yes the printer was shared on the XP-box)

Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, seems like other folks are doing great...

Thanks for your patience, Rick.

~C

•  CovenStine,

Make and model of the computer and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit?

Did the computer come with Windows 7 or did you upgrade to Windows 7?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Sorry, my bad.

Homemade, Phenom-I quad-core-x64, I had XP, ditched the drive and the OS, fresh install of Win7 Professional x64 last month on a fresh SSD.

~C

•  CovenStine,

You did install chipset drivers for your computer, correct?

Do you have...

AMD USB Audio Driver Filter or NVIDIA's Network Access Manager?

Did you try installing the Vista 64-bit drivers in the  Compatibility mode for the Dell 944 mprinter?

Is English(US) the language installed on the computer?

I have also seen people install the drivers. They didn't think they installed. They then removed the USB cable from the computer. Waited 30 seconds, then plugged the USB Cable back in with the printer turned on and the drivers started to installand everything started working.

Wireless router using WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal), mixed mode and channel 11, correct? The wireless router is not a Belkin, correct?

Rick

#DellRockStar