Dell AIO 922- The Scanner is not working!

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell AIO 922- The Scanner is not working!

This question is answered

Hello!
My problem is similar to the one you were responding to above. I have the Dell AIO 922 printer and the printer works fine, but the scanner does not work! When I press the scanner button, the screen on the printer says "Copies=1" and I receive nothing on my laptop screen . Whereas when it did work (on my previous laptop), I would receive some prompts on my computer screen to follow....
The last time I used the scanner was on my previous laptop which had windows as its operating. My present laptop has vista. I really need this resolved as soon as possible! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!..

Thank you,

Deneen

Verified Answer
  • Deneen,

In the OCR Folder, is there a setup.exe file? If not, then try the Abbyy folder and see if there is a setup.exe file there.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Deneen,

Picture will scan using the Dell All-In-One Center. If scanninf to Microsoft word, you'll have to try Update list of applications to send scans to and then choose Microsoft word. Choose .rtf as default. The try to scan something and sent it to Microsoft Word. If it works, then you;re all set. If not, thenyou'll need to open Simple OCR and scan the document to there. If I remember correctly, you might have to scan a few documents to get it working correctly. I know you do for handwriting, not sure about text.

I will be on Monday until evening, then I work and then going away until Thursday. If you have any questions, feel free to post back and I'll reply as soon as I get home(Oct 8th). I reply to subscribed threads first, in the order I receive them. I work a lot of nights, so I'm on diffferent times of the day.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick....

Wow.....Thanks for sticking with me!...I would not have blamed you had decided to "blow me off"!...

The scanner is workinf wonderfully now!...GOD BLESS YOU!...

I've treid a few different ways and scanning into Powerpoint and then doing a screen capture for my Smartboad seems to be th most clear and legible means , so far!

You saved me MANY, MANY, MANY hours of work!

Please let me know how I can give you  the best possible rating, for what you have done for me!

Take care,

Deneen

• Deneen,

GREAT JOB! Yes Thanks for posting back. Glad you got it working. If you mark the verified answer(s) on the threads that helped you solve your problem. That way if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to solve your problem.

I use Open Office, which is like Microsoft Office, but FREE. You have to save the documents as .doc or Excel as .xls, so people that have Microsoft Office can open them. I went in and changed the settings in the drop down menu. It also has something similar to PowerPoint and you can change the settings, etc. I send Excel Spreadsheets from home to work with no problems, after I found out that Microsoft Word will not open .odf extensions. I find it easier to make formulad and change column widths and heights.

Take care. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Rick

#DellRockStar

All Replies
  • Deneen,

Since you didn't mention the make and model of your computer and operating system, try following the instructions exactly as I have them. When it comes time to install the Vista 64-bit drivers, if I remember your previous thread correctly, the file may just unzip and sit there. Look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator, then follow the instructions. It really sounds like your drivers didn't install properly and following the instructions exactly will correct this.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens..

Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework, (needed to run many applications) and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer. Please use a 6ft or smaller USB Cable.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Hi Rick!

Thanks for your assistance....

I have a Dell intel core2 duo.....does that help?

I belive I followed you directions specifically....

I downloaded the patch-which was suppossed to remove the printer-prior to that I made sure that JAVA was updated!

I then restarted my computer!

Next I clicked on your link to Vista 64 bit drivers, but it did not seem to "download"...I was asked if i wanted to save the file- which I did...Is that correct?

I was not give an option for setup.exe or the prompt to  run as an administrator!

This is extremely frustrating! Did I do SOMETHING wrong?

Thanks for your time!

Deneen

• Deneen,

When you download the Vista 64-bit drivers, you should download them in your browser. If you used the Dell Download Manager, may be a problem. You'll have to do this to get rid of the Dell Download manager or you can download Search Everything and search for the R151379 file. Once located, the double click on it. then you'll look inside the folder for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator. This will install the drivers and the Dell All-In-One Center.

To use the Dell download manager you must have the Windows .net framework installed (use Windows update).  Though it's not made clear by Dell, you DO NOT need the manager.  Go into your browser settings and delete all Dell cookies (or clear all your browser cache).  Then go back and choose "download using my browser" when you select the file for download.  You will then not need the Dell download manager at all.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

I followed your directions above and was able to download the R151379 file without a problem. Sadly, when I tried to see if the scanner worked-it DID NOT....

Is there another step to this process, that I am missing/missed?

Thanks again, and again....

Deneen

• Deneen,

You do have the Dell All-In-One Center, correct?

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

and

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,Thanks for your patience!....

Yes, I do have a Dell All In One 922!

I need to reevaluate where I should be in this process.....When I ran the Patch that you say should completely remove my printer-I was never prompted to restart the computer....I believe the computer is still attached (in my husbands attempt to help, he removed the printed and re-installed it). It was after this, that I downloaded the R151379 file. .....Do I need to start all over?

Also, exactly how do you "stop" the printer disk from running?...Does it actually have a "stop" option?

I really appreciate your help! I am a second grade teacher and if I can get this scanner working, it will save me hours of additional work on my computer each week!

Many Thanks!

Deneen

• Deneen,

Needed to recap. Your operating system is Vista 64-bit. Didn't see make and model of computer. I have very few known problems with solutions, so if you have a Dell Studio 1536, please let me know.

You need to unplug the USB Cable from the computer to the printer.

Download the patch. Double click on it and it will remove the printer from the computer. To make sure the printer is gone, go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and make sure the printer is not listed. Also go to Control panel Printers and make sure the printer is not there. While in printers, right click on organize, layout menu bar. Now click on File, server properties, drivers and make sure the printer drivers are NOT there.

Now restart your computer.

Keeping the printer disconnected, Install the Vista 64-bit drivers. The file usually just unzips. Look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator. It should install the printer and drivers. At some point, you'll get a message that the printer is not connected. At this time, you connect the printer(powered on). If it doesn't start running after about 45 seconds, then try a different USB Port. This should install the printer, Dell All-In-One Center.

After you get that far, if you put the printer disk in the computer, you might get prompted to run setup.exe or veiw files and folders. Select view files and folders. If not prompted to do anything, then go to start, computer and right click on the CD/DVD drive with the disk and left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Then you'll need to read this...

Rick

Please excuse my spelling and punctuation as the spell checked doesn't work well with this computer's browser and operating system. Wink

#DellRockStar

• Hello!

YES!.....Printer was removed! However the Drivers appear to still be there...it says...." Dell Photo AIO Printer x86 Type 3 User Mode"!...

What should I do before moving onto the next steps....

Deneen

• Deneen,

Uninstall or delete the drivers, then restart your computer, then install the drivers. Remember the file just unzips and you'll have to look for the setup.exe file, then right click on it, left click run as administrator and follow the instructions.

Some people have issues with virus programs, security suites and firewalls.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick...

When I go into the File, server properties, drivers, screens......it does not give me the opportunity to "remove" or "delete" the Dell drivers! "Remove" does show on the screen, but I cannot select it!...

I know you are tired of this "issue" of mine!

I look forward to it being resolved as well!...

Deneen

• Deneen,

You're right, I cannot click on mine to remove neither. Restart the computer, then try installing the drivers and see what happens

Rtck

#DellRockStar

• Rick....

I feel like we are almost there....the actual scan screen that I use to get on my old laptop, popped up...that is promising!

Here is what happened now....

I got as far as the OCR folder, however there isnt a ABBYY "folder"...only an ABBYY Fine Readers5.0 Sprint document....and when I right or left click on it nothing happens!... There is no opportunity to click on setup.exe or runas administrator!...

What now....

Deneen

• Rick.....

I also, just tried to scan something and it seemed to work!.....wow!....Should that be it?!

Deneen

• Deneen,

You're still not out of the woods, yet. You need the OCR Program to scan a document to Microsoft Word or similar program. If you're only scanning pictures, you're ok.

The Abbyy Fine Reader 5.0 Sprint, is there a setup.exe file in there somewhere? If not, then you might have to download and install Simple OCR. It has an OCR Program and should work well. I can't remember if you have to open Simple OCR to scan or the Dell All-In-One Center.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Deneen,

In the OCR Folder, is there a setup.exe file? If not, then try the Abbyy folder and see if there is a setup.exe file there.

Rick

#DellRockStar