Dell 3010cn - Default MDF settings

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 3010cn - Default MDF settings

This question is not answered

Here's a harder one - I've spent 6 hours with tech support and they can't come up with a fix (they recomend sending another technician to replace parts, but I don't have the time to wait at home during the day - again).  Here's the background:

Earlier in the week, a technician from Unisys was dispatched to replace the interface board on my 3010cn printer.  He did not appear too familiar with the printer and tookover an hour to open it up and replace the board.  After the replacement was finished, he tried to print the "Printer Settings Page" from the front pannel of the printer.  The printer sounded like is was starting up and displayed "Printer Settings Printing".  Nothing actually printed and the display changed to "Load MDF A4 024-969".  The technician called in to his support line, couldn't figure out how to fix it and left.

The probelm appears to be that the default paper size set in the hardware is A4, and we don't know how to change that hardware setting to Letter.

I tried manually changing the paper size using the console on the printer from  "Paper Type/MPF/Plain 1" and "Paper Size/MPF/Letter" to A4.  Once I did this I could successfully print the settings page.  But If I changed the paper size back to Letter using the console, it would no longer print the setting page. 

With the paper size set to A4, the setting page listed:

Default Paper:  A4

Default Plain 1

Default Label  Plain 1

I had printed the page before the technician replaced the Board, and the old settings were listed as:

Default Paper  Letter

Default Plan 1 Normal

Default Lable  Label 2

So here's the big question:  How do I reset the default paper to Letter? (which is the only paper I have).

As an aside, even when the printer settings page won't print, I can still print successfully onto Letter paper from my computer - so it looks to me like a hardware setting on a setting that is stored in the printer somewhere and only used to manually print the setting page...

Is it possible that the technician flipped a dip-switch by mistake when he was installing the board?

Help please!!!

All Replies
  • Hi Peter,

Interesting...... As we know, many countries outside the USA use A4 as their default paper size. But you made no mention of language or country issues; I assume the control panel display is English? (I know, stupid question..... just covering all the bases)

The MPF does not have any auto-size configuration sensors as do the optional trays, so the paper size for the MPF must be set manually using the control panel. I see you're familiar with using the C/P, but your listing for the MPF doesn't seem right. You indicated:

With the paper size set to A4, the setting page listed:
    Default Plain 1
    Default Label  Plain 1

The term "Normal" is missing next to "Plain 1" and default label shouldn't be "Plain 1". Whereas, the same parameters before the part change was:

Default Paper  Letter
    Default Plan 1 Normal
    Default Lable  Label 2

Have you tried resetting the printer defaults? This function initializes the NV (non-volatile) memory. After executing this function and rebooting the printer, all the menu parameters are reset to their default values. Try this:

1. Press Menu
    2. Press the down arrow to display "Configure" (some may say "Config Device"); press the "Check-mark" [enter] button.
    3. Press the down arrow to display "Maintenance"; press the [enter] button.
    4. Press the down arrow to display "Init NVM" (some may say Init NVRAM); press the [enter] button.
    5. "Ready to Init" should be displayed; press the [enter] button.
    6. Press the left or right arrow to select "YES" (some may ask "Are you sure?"); press the [enter] button.
    7. Once the init process has completed, power off the printer, wait 5 seconds, power on the printer.

Instead of printing out the settings page now, merely removing/re-inserting the paper in the MPF should cause the display to prompt for the correct paper size and type settings. Then try printing.

Let me know what happens, please.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • Hi Peter,

Interesting...... As we know, many countries outside the USA use A4 as their default paper size. But you made no mention of language or country issues; I assume the control panel display is English? (I know, stupid question..... just covering all the bases)

The MPF does not have any auto-size configuration sensors as do the optional trays, so the paper size for the MPF must be set manually using the control panel. I see you're familiar with using the C/P, but your listing for the MPF doesn't seem right. You indicated:

With the paper size set to A4, the setting page listed:
    Default Plain 1
    Default Label  Plain 1

The term "Normal" is missing next to "Plain 1" and default label shouldn't be "Plain 1". Whereas, the same parameters before the part change was:

Default Paper  Letter
    Default Plan 1 Normal
    Default Lable  Label 2

Have you tried resetting the printer defaults? This function initializes the NV (non-volatile) memory. After executing this function and rebooting the printer, all the menu parameters are reset to their default values. Try this:

1. Press Menu
    2. Press the down arrow to display "Configure" (some may say "Config Device"); press the "Check-mark" [enter] button.
    3. Press the down arrow to display "Maintenance"; press the [enter] button.
    4. Press the down arrow to display "Init NVM" (some may say Init NVRAM); press the [enter] button.
    5. "Ready to Init" should be displayed; press the [enter] button.
    6. Press the left or right arrow to select "YES" (some may ask "Are you sure?"); press the [enter] button.
    7. Once the init process has completed, power off the printer, wait 5 seconds, power on the printer.

Instead of printing out the settings page now, merely removing/re-inserting the paper in the MPF should cause the display to prompt for the correct paper size and type settings. Then try printing.

Let me know what happens, please.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • OBTW..... there are no dip-switch or jumper settings in this printer that effect paper settings.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Thanks for your help.

I reset the NVRAM, powered off the printer, unplugged the power cord for 10 secs, plugged it back in and turned on the printer.  I then removed and replaced the paper in the MPF.  Interestingly the display showed "Free Size*" as selected.  I changed this to "Letter" and then confirmed paper type as Plain 1.

Next, I tried to print the Printer Settings Page, but it still went back to "Load MPF A4  024-969".  I hit cancel to clear the queue.

Any other ideas?

Peter

• You've obviously got something happening in that machine that's locking it into thinking it needs A4 in the MPF. To clarify, when you set the MPF to Letter and send a letter size print job from your PC..... you CAN still print, correct?

And with no errors, also correct?

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Hi again,

There do not appear to be any problems or errors when I set the MPF to letter using the control pannel of the printer and send a letter size job to the printer from the PC.  After the letter print job successfully prints the printer shows "READY TO PRINT 093-423  CYAN TONER IS LOW"

But even after that letter print job from the PC completes, if I try to print the printer settings page from the control pannel (or by hitting , or using the "Dell Status Monitor Console/Reports menue" it still asks to have A4 loaded intot he MPF.

Peter

• Peter,

I think you said at one time that you could force the printer to print the settings page (use the paper settings and set the size to A4?). If so, could you try to print the "Panel Settings" page? I pulled the office 3010 out of storage last night and would like to compare some settings of yours against mine.

Just to clarify, you are in the USA, correct?

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • llynster:  I'm trying to 'reset' the admin password on my 3010cn ...... I've had it since 9/06 (new from Dell) and must have set (and forgotten) the admin 'uname' and 'password'  .......  the printer is working great and I don't want to chance mucking it up AND was wondering if the Init NVRAM proc you suggested in this string of postings is the best way to reset the 'admin'  account name?/password ???

(PS.. I did RTM and it said to call Dell Support but I'm not under contract!!)

Thanks  John Doyle

<ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy>

(Washougal WA)

John Doyle

• John,

Not sure if I replied yet or not..... sorry for the delay if I haven't.

Did you try "no password" for the password..... i.e., blank? This is the normal default password and unless someone intentionally put one in, it should be U/N= admin and P/W = <blank>

The Init process I've specified elsewhere should also work and not "muck up" your machine.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Thanks.. the uname/pwd you suggested didn't work......... guess I'll try the init process........ thanks ------- I'll let you know the results.

(ALSO .. sorry about posting something I shouldn't have - my email address?? ....... I'll NEVER do that again!  Not really sure what I did wrong I think it's ok to mention the machine function and the model number?? )

John Doyle

• OK John,

We'll get ya runnin' one way or 'nother.

The biggest reason not to post your email is that this forum is web-searchable...... meaning...... it's available to anyone on the Internet. Email "miners" love this...... easy pickin's for their Spam lists Surprise

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop