Dell Drivers accidently deleted on my laptop - Printers Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Dell Drivers accidently deleted on my laptop

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Drivers accidently deleted on my laptop

This question has been answered by RockSt☆r-Rick K

I have a dell 966 All in One Printer attached wirelessly to an XP laptop.  Based on other printer issues I was having, I believed that I needed to do driver/firmware updates.  I went to Dell support, entered my tag number, but didn't override the OS default of Windows Vista.  So when I incorrectly installed the Vista driver, it removed my existing Dell drivers.  I'm not sure what it removed, but now the printer is no longer found.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do here?  I have a Dell Drivers CD that came with my PC, should I just reload everything?  Or should I go to Dell support and download/install the CORRECT XP drivers that it recommends?  Do I need to re-do my printer setup? 

Thanks,

Dan

Verified Answer
  • Dan,

Below I have the instructions for a person that wants to install the printer from the begining. Since you had the printer connected and working before, you will need to run the patch, which is like a cleanup utility, until it prompts you to restart your computer. Then install the proper drivers.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and un-install all versions of Java, restart your computer and download and install the latest Java.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings for the best communications.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

You may also need to read this,  

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

• Dan,

The patch, and why Dell calls it a patch is beyond me, is like a cleanup utility to remove the prinbter fro m your computer. I recommend using it on Xp as well but it MUST be run on Vista machines.

Since the printer was setup before, run the patch to remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer. Install the XP Drivers, choose network and follow the instructions. Since you know the ip address of the printer, everything should go very smoothly for you.

Rick

You can use the disk if you's like but the XP drivers might be more updates from Dell's website. Remember to install the OCR Program if you use the drivers from Dell's website.

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

All Replies
  • Dan,

Below I have the instructions for a person that wants to install the printer from the begining. Since you had the printer connected and working before, you will need to run the patch, which is like a cleanup utility, until it prompts you to restart your computer. Then install the proper drivers.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and un-install all versions of Java, restart your computer and download and install the latest Java.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings for the best communications.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

You may also need to read this,  

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

• Rick,

Thanks for the info.  Just to be totally clear on your instruction, I have a few questions:

The link to "this patch" to completely remove the printer from my computer is the exact driver that I ran.  If you notice from that link, the OS for this download is Vista.  Since I've already run this, I assume I should go to the next step.

My PC is XP, so I'll run the driver listed in the XP driver link that you provide and all other drivers that my service tag tells me to.

For the link that tells me how to Connect a Dell Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network, it refers at one point to inserting the "installation CD".  Does this mean the Drivers and periferals CD that came with my PC?  I don't seem to have an CD that came with my PC (perhaps it never came? perhaps I lost it?).

I'll give this a try tonight.  Thanks for your help.

Dan

• By the way, when I ping the IP address of my wireless printer (192.168.10.4) it does find it.  Does this tell me anything?  Clearly it's still found on the network?  Can I bypass any steps because of this?

• Dan,

The patch, and why Dell calls it a patch is beyond me, is like a cleanup utility to remove the prinbter fro m your computer. I recommend using it on Xp as well but it MUST be run on Vista machines.

Since the printer was setup before, run the patch to remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer. Restart your computer. Install the XP Drivers, choose network and follow the instructions. Since you know the ip address of the printer, everything should go very smoothly for you.

Rick

You can use the disk if you's like but the XP drivers might be more updates from Dell's website. Remember to install the OCR Program if you use the drivers from Dell's website.

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

• It's all fixed now.  I installed the main XP printer driver as you said and it went thru the install process, re-found the printer, and now everything works.  Even the original issue of my color cartridge not working is also fixed, which indicates to me that it was a driver issue all along.  After all my problems, once I installed the proper driver everything started working.

I REALLY appreciate your help.  Thanks alot!

Dan

• Dan,

GREAT JOB! Yes Thanks for posting back. Just don't let Microsoft update your drivers or you may have this issue, again. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

• Pudgy...

Just wanted you to know that I've been looking for a solution to my Dell 922 printer problem for 2.5 weeks and this is the one that worked!  I even went so far as to take my pc and printer into an "expert" to get it fixed.  After an Windows XP update, my 922 just quit working.  Uninstalling, reinstalling nothing seemed to work.  I finally ran across a post that led me to this forum and your suggestion.  I know it was posted for a 966, but it worked for the 922 as well.  Thanks a million!

TxAggieUmp

• txaggieump,

Glad you got your printer working. Yes Thanks for posting back. I don't think the patches are the same for each printer. I now have owners threads for each printer and the instructions to install each Dell Inkjet Printer. This information as well as many printer notes can be found at...

Welcome! Information about Dells Inkjet, All-In-One Printers

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016