Dell 942 AIO Printer - Problems after downloading updated driver from Microsoft

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 942 AIO Printer - Problems after downloading updated driver from Microsoft

• I have had a problem with printing any document or emails since stupidly downloading an update to my Dell 942 printer from the Microsoft website.

I have unplugged my printer and the USB connection, uninstalled the printer drivers, and installed the correct printer driver from the Dell website.

I still cannot print from the printer and the problems and error messages are as follows:-

1. If I attempt to print from the printer icon or from the file/print menu I get the following Microsoft message:- "

dlbujswx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

". If I then send - or do not send - the error report to Microsoft one page will print out on the printer.

2. There is software on my PC which came with the Dell Dimension 5100 (and for which I also have a Dell disc) called "Dell All In One Center". If I attempt to print using that software, the following "Microsoft/Dell" message appears on screen - "Runtime Error! Program\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 942\dlbuaiox.exe abnormal program termination " and nothing can be printed.

I have had a problem with printing any document or emails since stupidly downloading an update to my Dell 942 printer from the Microsoft website.

I have unplugged my printer and the USB connection, uninstalled the printer drivers, and installed the correct printer driver from the Dell website.

I still cannot print from the printer and the problems and error messages are as follows:-

1. If I attempt to print from the printer icon or from the file/print menu I get the following Microsoft message:- "

dlbujswx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

". If I then send - or do not send - the error report to Microsoft one page will print out on the printer.

2. There is software on my PC which came with the Dell Dimension 5100 (and for which I also have a Dell disc) called "Dell All In One Center". If I attempt to print using that software, the following "Microsoft/Dell" message appears on screen - "Runtime Error! Program\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 942\dlbuaiox.exe abnormal program termination " and nothing can be printed.

• novus1,

Another victim of Microsoft updating drivers. Windows Updates are GREAT for Windows ONLY. For drivers, Microsoft either offers the wrong drivers and/or they get installed wrong causing many devices to fail. Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and un-install all versions of Java, restart your computer and download and install the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer. (You may have to right click on the patch, left click run as administrator)

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Dear Rick,

For various reasons it has taken me ages to get down to following your advice but I have just done it and it has indeed worked.

I want to thank you for your expert and prompt advice and for my rudeness in not dealing with it earlier. 

What a relief to be able to print again.

How great to have someone out there to solve problems such as mine.

I send you my very best wishes.

Brian

• Brian,

I am so very glad you got your printer to work, again. I didn't see any rudeness from this. I do have many people that do not post back saying if they get it working or not, so I just wash it under the table.

I have seen so many devices fail because the people allowed Microsoft to install the wrong drivers and/or they get installed wrong causing many of the devices to fail. Windows Updates are GREAT, for WINDOWS ONLY. Device drivers, I do not update unless I have a problem with a device, then I usually will ask others in a forum first beefore looking for a new driver and if no one responds, then I try the manufacturers website first.

If you need any other advice, feel free to post in any of the DELL Community Forums

Take care and I'm really glad you posted back.,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Dear Rick, I forgot to mention - just in case another novice has the same problem.  After downloading the new Drivers you need to restart the PC!

I thought it hadn't worked until I did that!

Best.  Brian

• Thanks Rick!  I've been fighting this same thing for about 3 weeks now.  I'd uninstalled & reinstalled drivers several times w/ no luck.  Finally I got the "dlbujswx.exe" error & did a search on it which led to your post.

Thanks again!

Dave

• Dave,

Glad you got it working. Yes Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

Here's my deal - I used to own a Dell but recently purchased a Gateway Vista machine w/Windows 7, gave the old Dell to my son but kept the Dell 942 AIO printer.  I've tried several times to download the driver - at the time only a 32-bit Vista option, but after hitting this link on Google, tried to download the 64-bit version.  To no avail, I am unable to print to the printer.  I had the Dell machine for years and after moving several times / knowing I wasn't going to keep machine much longer, I never kept the driver CD.  Dell also no longer has the driver CD.  Everything works right up to the point where I print, but it's missing something.  A computer person I work with and local computer store both said hardware is compatible - regardless of brand (Dell printer to a Gateway machine)   Am I missing something?

• millertary_man,

When installing the drivers, it sound like you have Windows 64-bit system. The drivers offered are mostly the Vista drivers and I would install them in the compatibility mode. Since you already tried to install the printer, you will most likely need to uninstall the printer, using the patch, until it prompts you to restart your computer. Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Then follow the instructions located at...

942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread

Then let me know what happens. I do not have anyone telling me that they got this printer to work with Windows 7, yet, but that doesn't maen anything as many of the printer on the NOT compatible to Windows 7 Printer's list, many have actually installed.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Somehow it worked!!!!  Don't know why because I got message as I did one time before when prompted to connect the printer that the driver didn't install.  But - low and behold - it printed!!!  Thanks - any other glitches, I know just who to ask!!  THANKS RICK!

• millertary_man,

I'm trying to compound a list. So you're teeling me that this printer now works with Windows 7, correct? If so, I will add this to my list of compatible printers.

Thanks,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Any idea why this printer is so fragile?  I have used HP, Canon and Lexmark printers without near the trouble that this printer has.  I continually have to reinstall the drivers to make the printer work (at least 10-20 times so over a 2-3 year period).  Is Dell not registering something right where Microsoft keeps updating the drivers to a bad level?  I am still running XP and this time I cannot seem to get it back to a working state even following the steps listed above.  Any ideas?  It may be time to upgrade to something more reliable and higher quality like an HP or Canon.  I wonder if Dell shouldn't get out of the printer market.  They don't seem to understand how to make their stuff work like the other companies.

• jynxmagnet,

First, your Dell Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark.

Second, I would try reinstalling the printer using the instructions located at...

942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread and also try this little tweak.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• A new  Printer fault now. - All in One 942. used with Dell Dimension 5100 and Windows XP.

Printer no longer starts up by pressing 'Print' on PC. It does print when you go through the File/Print process though.  Also on Boot up Dell Media window opens . Also when trying to open Dell Media Experience I get "Windows searching for DMX.exe" message.  I think all must be related.   Any help would be welcome.  Brian

• novus1,

The dmx.exe message might be malware. Try reading Post Here for Malware Removal ... and then follow the instructions.

Rick

#DellRockStar