3000cn

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

3000cn

This question is not answered

Would really like some instructions on how to change the black developer unit on the 3000cn.  I already have the part and feel confident I can do the job.  Thank you. 

All Replies
  • I left you a PM.....

Would strongly advise you to edit your post and remove your email address...... not good practice. You just gave your email address out to the world.

Also would suggest editing the post header to include the model number of your printer (3000cn).

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • btw..... what is your print symptom?

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Post edited - thank you.

Black was printing faintly on the right 1/3 of the sheet.  I called Dell.  They had me do all of the tests and they told me that the developer unit needed replaced.  Got the part.  Figured I could figure out how to replace the part, which I probably would eventually do, but in doing some research, found one of your replys refering to the same problem where you offered to send some instructions on replacing the unit along with a warning that if you aren't good with tools and afraid of getting dirty to forget it.  Had an office equipment business.  Taught myself how to fix an old typewriter by taking one apart and putting it back together again.  Enjoyed that.  Also was a tech for a company that sent me to school to learn how to fix HP Laser Jets.  Good mechanic.

Bernie

• Can't find anything in pprivate messages?????

• Bernie,

You sound like you have the skills needed for the job.

But let's hold off here for a moment. The print symptom you describe sounds familiar. Do you have a sample 20% density test page that you can upload to here? If so, please mark the top, bottom, left, and right edges of the paper as such. (let me know if you need to know how to print the 20% density test pages)

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Bernie,

I have left you another PM with my email address so I can send you these instructions. Am waiting to hear from you via email.

Will do so again right now

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Did you get this problem solved successfully? 

I have the same problem, except my printer is a 3100cn. The print on the right third of each page is faded. After calling Dell they tell me I need a P4872. But after talking with the parts sales department they said they don't have any.

After searching I found the parts on eBay and another site, both claiming to be genuine Dell parts. So, assuming I can even get one of a P4872, how would I go about putting it in? Is there a diagram of some sort available somewhere?

Also is it possible to get a complete list of parts (part numbers with descriptions) for my Dell 3100cn printer?

• Hi,

As I've specified a few dozen times helping others, when diagnosing print quality issues, pictures speak a thousand words.
    If you can, please scan or take some pictures of your defective images, upload them to your computer, and post them with your reply.

Use the "Insert Media" icon (2 to the left of the smiley) to locate the file on your computer and upload with your reply. (obtw.... max image width is 550 pixels)

The best images you can post would be the 20% density pages. To print the 20% density test pages:
    1. Power off the printer.
    2. Press and hold the UP and DOWN arrow buttons while you power the printer on.
    3. The buttons may be released after the LCD indicates "Diagnosing..."
    4. After a few seconds, the LCD should indicate "Customer Mode" and "ESS Diag"
    5. Press the UP or Down arrow buttons to find "Test Print", press the Enter (center) button.
    6. Press the Down arrow button to find and select Cyan20%, or Magenta20%, or Yellow20%, or Black20%; press the Enter button twice to select and print that test page
    (note: printers with the newest firmware may have an additional menu item called "ContaminationCHK". Using this item will print all 4 of the 20% density pages for you)
    7. After all print tests have been completed, power the printer off, wait ~5 secs, and power on.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • This printer has some serious issues.

FIRST, I would urge you to edit the message in which you attached the images and DELETE the image of the email. It has your email address in it and is a violation of Forum Usage Policy. This forum is web search-able and you just provided your email address to the world. Happy spam !!

Are you using genuine Dell toner? If not, this is probably only the beginning of more problems. The company that makes these printers for Dell has a trade secret on the toner formulation. Compared with 3rd party toners, it is not the same and they will eventually ruin the inner workings of the printer.

Do you know what a MAG roller is? This is the roller that has a "fuzzy" appearance across the entire surface and is located next to each toner cartridge inside the printer. Ideally, the roller should have a smooth, even appearance of toner with NO "bald" spots. If you see bald spots, this means the toner is clumping behind the MAG roller trim blade and the Developer Assy for that color would need replacement. This looks like the problem you may be having.

One more thing..... CLEAN the ROS GLASS. The ROS is the Laser scanning unit and has a protective glass window. This glass faces upward and is an ideal dumping spot for loose toner from the developer assy's. To clean the glass:
    1. Open only the front cover.
    2. At the right-side of the door opening, grasp and pull out the blue handle.
    3. View the right-side cover of the printer. When the blue handle was pulled out, an access hole opens and reveals the ROS cleaning rod.
    4. Pull the rod completely out until it stops, then push it back in until it stops.
    5. Repeat this action 2-3 times.
    6. Ensure the rod is all the way in and push in the blue handle to close the access hole; close the front cover.
    7. Print the test pages again.

Let me know what you find.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop