Scanner "Cannot retrieve application list"

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Scanner "Cannot retrieve application list"

This question is not answered

I have a AIO 948 Printer, and when I try to scan something to my computer it says "Downloading Applicaiton List". It sits there for about a minute and than eventually says "Cannot retrieve application list". Anybody know how to fix this?

All Replies
  • Anyone know how to fix this?

• anthony6891,

Try re-installing the printer following the instructions below. First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get the best communications between the printer and all the computers.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 948 Printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Also try reading

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Also try reading Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have tried the above without success.

When I initiate a scan from the printer I get the "Cannot retrieve application list" as before.

When I try to initiate from DELL AIO Centre I get a  dialog box. I updated the application list in the AIO Centre as per the last item in your post.

'Scan was not successful'

Check AIO powered On

Disconnect & reconnect USB

Disconnect & reconnect AIO's Power cable

Restart your computer"

I have confirmed the following

.Net 3.5 SP1

Java Ver 6 update 17

I am using USB to connect to 948

I am using Vista Home Premium. The drivers & AIO firmware re-installed after running patch to uninstall printer.

If I do a copy to paper it works perfectly, just not able to scan to DELL Inspirion PC.

Is there another way to get the application list into to AIO 948 via USB?

• Cuinmydreams,

Try this little tweak and see if this helps.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion.

All the USB Root Hubs had the allow computer to turn off this device to save power, unchecked.

I checked each & then unchecked this option & then on the Advanced tab reset each Hub.

Restarted the computer, still the same dialog box from in the Dell AIO centre instantly, when scan attempted.

Tried setting the scan settings to lowest setting 72 DPI & unchecked OCR. Also tried different default appplication to scan document into, with the same result.

Note when I attempt the copy from Dell AIO centre it also fails instantly with the same dialog box.

Attempt scan from 948 panel "Downloading application list"  for 30 seconds, then "cannot retrieve application list" message.

The successful copy, can only be done from the menu on the panel of the 948. This proves that the scanner works, but not able to interface to application/PC.

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Bill

• Bill,

You are using the printer connected with a USB Cable and not the wireless functions, correct? If using the wireless functions, then I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11. You would need to setup the printer again if you change the router setting if connected using the wireless functions.

I would suggest you try reinstalling the printer using the instructions located at...

948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Also try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Adding the program to the list does help.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

Yes using USB connection.

Ran printer unistall patch & downloaded the Vista 32 bit drivers again.

Extracted printer Drivers to default location (rather different location as I had on previous 3 attempts).

Driver install auto ran & gave me option of USB or wireless option via a dialog.

(In previous attempts I had not seen this option despite the printer driver auto running & prompting me to restart the PC when it had completed.)

When driver install completed from the original disc & installed the ABBYY OCR software. Restarted PC

Scanned successfully into ABBYY Sprint 6.0 software, after choosing TWAIN DELL AIO Printer 948 as source scanner.

Whoo Hoo!!!

DEL AIO Centre & printer Front panel scans still fail & give the same errors....

Happy to have scan from Glass to PC via ABBYY Sprint 6.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

• Bill,

I understand you got it partially working but what is the error message. If you cannot write it down, could you press Prnt Scrn, then paste it to Paint and post the error message here. If you click on the blue PudgyOne, then upload the image there, you can then post the direct link so I can see the error message you're getting.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

Here is the Error Dialog when I initiate a Scan or copy from within the Dell AIO Centre.

This appears instantly. There are a number of options in AIO Centre MagiChop(scanning multiple photos), Scan & save to pdf 7 all result in the above error dialog.

When I do a scan from within ABBYY Sprint 6.0 it pops up the DELL AIO interface as below. This is after using the preview.

Clicking Scan now gets a successful scan into ABBYY Sprint 6.0 that I can manipulate & save to different file formats.

If I attempt a scan from the 948 front panel I get the ''Cannot retrieve application list'' error after approx 30 seconds.

Bill

• Bill,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system?

The USB Cable, is this 6ft or smaller?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

PC & operating system above.

The USB cable is approximately 5' in length.

Bill

• Bill,

Try going to Drivers & Downloads, enter your service tag number. Please do NOT post it here. The download and install the chipset drivers as I think there might be a problem with your USB Ports or printer cable. You might have to go back and uncheck all the USB Root hub boxes, again.

See if that correct the problem.

Rick 

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

Installed the Chipset drivers & restarted PC.

The USB root hubs were still unchecked.

Exactly the same result as before.

I struggle to beleive when I can print via DELL AIO Centre & scan from another application via USB that the cable could be the problem.

I think the cable I am using is the one originally supplied with the printer.

Is the concern over cable length due to signal reflection in shorter cables, as is seen in other communication cables, e.g. CAT-5 ?

I can get a longer cable, but to honest what I have now works everytime using ABBYY Sprint 6.0 software.

This is a significant improvement on this morning when I couldn't Scan at all. In fact I have never been able to use the scanner from new.

Thanks again for all your help & if it all stays as it is, the sky certainly won't fall in for me!!

Cheers,

Bill

• Bill,

Maybe this clears it up. The Dell All-In-One Center needs to be used when scanning with the USB Cable.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

What color is the light on the printer, orange, blue?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• It was very difficult to get the AIO 946 to install in the first place and then nearly impossible after we got the wireless printer adapter.  I don't want to have to uninstall and try to reinstall only to have it not install and totally lose access to it.  Right now I can print wirelessly, but that's all.  I used to be able to scan and then all of a sudden it stopped scanning all together.  My husband is unable to scan from his computer as well.  I was never able to install the printer on my lap top and neither was my son.

There has to be a way to make it work without having to do all of the uninstalling and reinstalling.  Has anyone determined exactly what makes it stop working in the first place???

We have all Dell computers and the wireless printer adapter is Dell.  Doesn't  make sense to have this much trouble with all Dell products.

Thanks.

~ Evelyn