Forums

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Need OCR Software for a A960 All-in-One Printer System

• I no longer have the software disk for the A960 all in one system that I purchased from Dell in 03. 

When I try to scan a document into any software except for Adobe Photoshop, I get the error:  "An OCR application is provided for you on your CD in the OCR directory.  Select 'OK' to cancel this operation, install your OCR software and try again." 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers I downloaded from Dell.com but this did not fix the problem.
    Please let me know where I can get the OCR software, I need to be able to use this function tonight.
  • Re-installing the drivers this way usually brings back everything, including the Dell All-In-One Center.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

If you're using Vista, you need to follow these additional instructions.

If you have the printer disk, double click my computer. Go to the drive with the Dellxxx disk and right click on it, left click explore. Go to the OCR folder and double click on it. Go to setup.exe and double click on it. This will install the OCR Program.

Or

Try Simple OCR

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Did all that yesterday... next suggstion?

XP OS.

• Any error messages, printer did not install?

Did you try

Try Simple OCR?

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• No errors, printer works fine.  Tried Free OCR, but Printer's scanning software doesn't recognze it... tells me I need the software off the CD.
  • You have the Dell All-In-One Center, correct?

If so, Open it, click on scanning and copying, click on update the list of applications to send scans to, locate the free OCR Program and add it to the list as well as any other programs you want to use.

Also read this.

#DellRockStar

• Is the scanning software part of the Driver package?  Or, separate?  If separate, where do I find it?  I cannot find the original CD with the scanning software.

thanks!

•  techiegirl09,

The OCR Program is a part of the printer disk. Because of royalties, it cannot be downloaded. You can try using Simple OCR and scan from that.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I checked out the Simple OCR url.  The product description says it "converting scanned images" -- does it scan as well as convert?  I need the scanning component -- OCR is icing on the cake and not an immediate requirement.

Thanks for your assistance.  Smile

•  techiegirl09,

If you want to scan to Microsoft Word, or similar program, then you'll need an OCR Program. If scanning photos as an image, then an OCR Program is NOT needed.

techiegirl09
    does it scan as well as convert? 

Yes this scans and converts.

More about Optical Character Recognition

Also try reading Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Thank you.  I'm getting the sense that I'm not asking the question right.  I transitioned to a new computer and cannot find the CD that came with the printer that had the Scanning software. Can you tell me where I can get the All-In-One Center software that allowed me to scan to Adobe PDF?  When it scanned to Adobe, it scanned as an image. 

Thanks for your patience with me.  :)

• techiegirl09,

The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers package. Because of royalties, the Abbyy Fine Reader OCR Program is not available for download and is only available on the printer disk.

Disconnecting the printer.

Doownload and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the drivers that match your operating system. Vista 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the printer in the Compatibility mode

Links to the drivers and patch are found in the ABOVE THREAD.

Then you'll need to read Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

I did as you instructed (a couple times before writing).  I am still not seeing the AIO Center where I can scan documents.  At one point, I received an error message -- it either said it did not install properly or suggested it may not have installed properly (not sure -- didn't do screen capture).

The only options listed for the Printer is:

Dell Printers

Dell AIO Printer A960

Dell Order Ink Cartridges

Dell Printer Solution Center

Uninstall Dell AIO Printer A960

View Dell User’s Guide

Any advice?  I am using a corporate notebook -- could something be locked down and preventing proper install? 

Muchas gracias,

Techiegirl...

•  techiegirl09,

The procedure to install the printer is here(without the OCR Program) The Dell All-In-One Center is in the drivers, both downloadable and on the printer disk. Since this is a coporate notebook, it is possible, like you said, that the computer is locaed down. You may have to get the people in the IT Department to install. I am a limited user at work and they have to install certain programs.

.net framework is needed

Download Latest Java

And communications from the printer to the computer in both directions.

Rick

#DellRockStar