5310n- Firmware upgrades and new driver problem

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

5310n- Firmware upgrades and new driver problem

• I need Dell Devs to look at this.  I have contacted Dell Support and they were no help.

First:  The upgraded firmware has the wrong extension.  The printer looks for *.flx but the firmware extension is *.fls.  Changing the file extension on the new firmware still doesn't allow you to upload the firmware.

Second:  The 2.0 print drivers don't allow you to configure the printer correctly.  I'm not able to set tray 2 as having legal paper.  Although we are printing OK, and I am able to add the second tray, I can't configure the tray.
  • Not sure about the firmware issue...... I'll see what my partners know.

The tray..... the paper trays on the 5210n and 5310n printers are AUTO-size sensing and you really don't need to "configure" the tray...... unless you're using really odd size paper. Just adjust the rear fence in the tray to the proper length and that tells the printer that "Legal/14" (for example) sized paper is loaded. If the printer recieves a job requiring that size paper, it knows where to pull the paper from.

That said, a common problem seen with these trays is the "actual" position of the rear fence. As already said, the paper size is auto-selected dependent on the position of the rear fence in the tray. It's very common to have just added paper, etc., and not lock the rear fence into the correct size position, in this case, 11" or letter size. If the rear fence is off by as much as an 1/8" forward or rearward, the size switches won't correspond to the correct size paper.
    If you pull out the tray and examine the left side just under the A5 mark, you'll see three little "nubs" that can protrude from the side of the tray. These "nubs" press..... or don't press..... switches inside the base of the printer dependent on whether the nub is protruding, or not. If the paper size is letter, the top nub should be retracted, and the next two down should be protruding.
    Another gotcha is the linkage under the side of tray that attaches the rear fence to the slide which controls the size nubs. Sometimes that linkage gets disconnected and you can slide the rear fence backward and forward and have little/or no effect at all on the nubs.

Hope this helps.....

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • Like I said, printing to legal isn't a problem.  I guess it's more of a asthetic issue then anything else.

I don't know if this is possible or not, but our business primarily prints to legal size.  Often many of our employees would like all documents to print on legal regardless of what the document size is.  I am finding that regardless of what I tell the printer to do (Both in the print driver setup and in the printer configuration) it still prints according to what the document is.  Is there currently any way to do this?  We are using the current PS3 drivers.
  • I guess I'm a little confused. What I understood you to say was that you were having problems configuring the paper size for the tray. I was trying to explain that the printer automaticallly detects the size. In other words, you don't need to set the paper size for a tray. The printer does that.

Here's another "rule". Application settings will override Driver settings and will override Printer settings. Translated, this means if the application (i.e., Word) is sending a Legal size job to the printer, but the printer does not have legal sized paper in any of the trays, the printer will stop and display a message telling you to load legal paper.

Another thought just occurred to me. You indicated in your 1st post that you loaded new drivers. Have your drivers (PCL and PS) been updated to reflect the configuration of your printer?
    For PCL, click Properties, then click the Install Options tab. The configuration of your printer should be listed in the "Currently Installed Options" box. If it doesn't match, click the Ask Printer button in the top center of the screen. The installed options should re-populate the "Currently Installed Options" box. This must also be done for the PS driver...... the process is similar to the PCL driver.

Not sure what else I can explain about paper handling on this printer.

Still looking at the FW update issue.
    Are you trying to use the firmware updater program?
    Or, are you trying to use the web interface to update?

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • FIRMWARE: The file on the Dell web-site ends with .FLS
    This means you must use the web interface (embedded web service, or EWS) to update the firmware.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • sorry to thread jack but my problem is the same, I have about 20 5210n's and I'm using the web interface to try and update the firmware, I browse to where the new firmware(.fls) is, but the only format it will se is .flx. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Richard

• OK...... grabbed one of my 5x10 models and set it up.

Confirmed issue.:smileysad:

THERE IS a problem with the name of this file.

I'll send a private email off to "Bill - Dell" to get this escalated.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • OK..... ALL STOP(Screech)..... Reverse..... Backup.

I missed this myself :smileysurprised:..... I just assumed the EWS Firmware update feature would be used to do this.

WRONG..... I looked a little more closely at the instructions attached to this update and noticed this update is applied using the FTP "put" procedure.

Here are the instructions:

1. Download the firmware file and place it on a convenient location on your system, example, c:\LS_ST_E211_updeng.fls

2. Note the current firmware version of your printer. From the printer’s front panel, press Menu > Reports > Menu Settings Page.

3. From a CMD prompt, open a FTP connection to the printer.

4. From the Windows’s Command prompt, type: FTP [ip address of printer], example, FTP 192.168.10.100

5. Press the enter key at the User prompt

6. After the FTP connection has been established, send the firmware file to the printer. From the FTP prompt, type: PUT “[path to the firmware file]”, example, PUT c:\LS_ST_E211_updeng.fls

7. The firmware update will take approximately one minute, do not power off or send print job to the printer during this time.

8. The printer will restart itself after firmware update has been completed.

9. The engine firmware version should now be “LS.ST.E211-0”. To confirm, go to either the printer’s EWS (Reports > Device Information) or print the Menu Settings Page again from the printer’s front panel.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop