DELL AIO 924 PRINTER INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

DELL AIO 924 PRINTER INSTALLATION PROBLEMS

This question is not answered

Firstly, the USB is NOT plugged in...

Only Powered up..

When we insert the AIO 924 Installation CD, we are presented with the setup application window whereby it shows "PERSONAL  INSTALLATION" or "NETWORK INSTALLATION"  & EVERY time we select PERSONAL, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens ??? Trying to install this printer BACK onto my Dell Desktop ( DELL Dimension 1100 ).. 

This Printer was hooked up to a different Desktop ( ASROCK ) with same O.S. ( XP Home ) and was successful & the installation CD worked also...

What you think ???  SHELDON in TUCSON

All Replies
  • I was having problems with my printer.

My brother decided to unistall the printer. We removed all the software for the printer.  We kept the Dell Accessories program and Dell Driver on there because we did not want to unistall that as we were not sure.

We then tried to download the software disc for the printer (this came with the printer) and it would not read the disc. We confirmed the CD drive was working.

The computer is not detecting the USB chord in any of the ports for the printer. We can not figure this out.

• Hi jencomp,

There are a set of Services which has to be started. These are required by the printer to print the documents from the computer.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required are started:

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.
    2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

• Human Interface Devices (HID).
    • Printer Spooler.
    • RPC (Remote Procedure Call).
    • RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).
    • Windows image acquisition (WIA).
    • Windows Installer.

After starting the services, restart the computer and try to print from the computer. If the problem still persists uninstall the printer drivers from the computer.

Follow the steps to uninstall the printer drivers from the computer:

1. Click “Start”.
    2. Select “Control Panel”.
    3. Select “Programs and Features” (for windows vista or windows 7 operating system) or “Add or Remove Program” (for windows xp operating system).
    4. Select the printer model Dell 924 and uninstall it
    5. Restart the computer for saving the changes.

These steps will uninstall the printer drivers.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for Dell 924 printer and install the drivers in the computer.

If the cd is unavailable use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://dell.to/VLZl1f

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers. Please choose the right operating system from the list under operating system.

Please copy the above mentioned link, paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.

1. Select the operating system of your computer from the list.
    2. Save the file to the desktop.
    3. Double-Click the downloaded file.
    4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.
    5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
    6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.

Try printing the document from the computer and reply with results.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• Hi Nikhil D with Dell.

We will give it try and let you know how it works. Thanks for the information.

• Hi jencomp,

Sure, please post the results and reply me if you need any further help.

I will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• Hi, Nikhil D:

We did all the things mentioned in your email.

Per my brother - When we insert the AIO 924 Installation CD on to the Desktop (Dell Dimension 1100), we are presented with the setup application window whereby it shows "PERSONAL INSTALLATION" or "NETWORK INSTALLATION" & every time we select PERSONAL, nothing happens. It wont read the installation CD. We also tried NETWORK for the heck of it..but nothing happened. The desktop is not corresponding with the printer.

Is there anything we can download from the Dell website?  We tried to find an update on the Driver but could not find anything. 

This same Printer was hooked up to a different Desktop ( ASROCK ) with same O.S. ( XP Home ) and was successful & the installation CD worked also. This same printer also hooked just fine to my laptop  with the Installation CD.

Thanks

• Hi gem3intuc,

When performing a local installation, the AIO 924 printer must be connected to the computer via USB cable. You can try a different USB ports on computer. To install printer, you can power on the printer --> Insert the printer drivers CD drive --> Connect your printer to the Dimension 1100 via USB cable --> Run a the set up file from CD as shown in images below: 

Print a 'Test page' and see if it works. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/13o34re 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

Thanks and Regards,
    Chinmay S
    #iworkfordell 
    To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/10GaKAc  

• THis also will NOT work

• jencomp,

Make and model of your computer and operating system. 32-bit or 64-bit? If Windows 7, did the computer come with Windows 7?

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• gem3intuc, jencomp, and ,

To prevent us from providing conflicting information, I have joined this thread as it contains the same information...

This Printer was hooked up to a different Desktop ( ASROCK ) with same O.S. ( XP Home ) and was successful & the installation CD worked also

I am seeing a network that has a desktop ASROCK and the chances of having different forum members with the same desktop and the same model printer are very slim.

The first approach would be to try to repair the usb port issue. Make and model of the computer and opertaing system is helpful 32-bit or 64-bit?

Second approach would be to run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue. If you have a stuck print job in the queue, you can uninstall/reinstall a printer and the problems is still there.

If printer file and sharing is involved, Virus programs, firewalls can become an issue. Not knowing the opertaing systems involved can also cause issues.

Articles I have on file and printer sharing...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Windows Vista printing to shared Windows XP printer

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

I will be leaving for work shortly, so I'll leave the replies up to and  to help.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Dear DellNIKHELl

I have Model # : Dell Phot All-In-One Printer 942 Photo All in One 942. 

It was stored for some time and I decided to use it recently.  I can scan , but I cant print or copy .  next to the power button there is light (i) . So, I am assuming that there are something missing. I don't know what to do.

How can i make it print again and copy? What do I need to Do.

Ps. when i try to print the paper just go half way through......PLEAAAAASSSSEEE HELp.

Thank you

Ruby - UK 

• Ruby,

Did you try replacing the Dell Series 5 ink cartridges? Let's try reseating the cartridges and it should try to print  a test page.

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has.

Power on the printer. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 5 Black cartridge. make sure all the tape is off the cartridge and put the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 5 color cartridge.

Close the printer. It should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)         color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

First of all thank you so much.

I did exactly as you recommended , but when the printing of the alignment page started , the paper went through half way and stopped. I could hear the cartridge movement , but i kept getting a message asking me for adding paper.!  

so it might be now the mechanism of the thing that pull in the papers. Excuse my simple words i am not a very technical person.

I bought the new cartridge from ebay , they fit perfectly.I think if the paper went through I can determine if the error is in the cartridge or the printer itself.

I am assuming that without the paper alignment test , the printer won;t work.? correct

Any further advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you so much

Ruby

• Rick -

Now I am getting Cartridge Error >? does that mean the cartridge are faulty >#

• Rubes99,

The cartridges should be Dell Series 5 ink cartridges. They have a sensor in them. Generic and refilled cartridges may not work. If the sensor cannot be read, the printer will not work. It may not allow you to scan.

I would return the cartridges for a refund, then purchase Dell Series 5 ink cartridges.

Rick

#DellRockStar