Dell 3100cn Printer will not install correctly

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 3100cn Printer will not install correctly

This question is not answered

Hello all-

I have a Windows 7 64-Bit system and am attempting to connect the printer locally through its USB connection. Despite numerous attempts at installing the software drivers associated for this printer, downloaded directly from DELL's support website, I get a Specified Port is Unknown error when all is said and done.

A quick look at the properties for the port that is assigned brings me this:

Port_#0001.Hub_#0008

I don't understand what the issue is. All of my USB ports are operational. There is no logical reason I should be worrying about ports with a USB installation. The driver should be installed automatically, and yes, I have also tried to manually hand-hold the installation so that it reads the correct driver folder, and it still fails. YET, it shows in the printer's properties dialog that it is working correctly!!

Ultimately, the printer also shows up in my Devices and Printers page, and also in the Device Manager list, but has a Yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it denoting an issue, does not come up in my printers  and Windows troubleshooting nets me nothing either.

I would be grateful if anyone has a workaround or has experiences a similar issue and has found a solution.

All Replies
  • Hi swataz,

Installing the drivers in the prescribed manner and starting the services necessary for the scanning application could resolve the problem.

Follow the below steps to reinstall the printer drivers in prescribed manner.

Please disconnect the USB cable that runs from the printer to the computer and uninstall the printer driver by using uninstaller software. Here is a link to download one.

http://revouninstallerpro.com/

Install the software and uninstall the printer driver using the Advanced Uninstall option from the software. It is third party software used to uninstall the drivers with its own terms; I suggest you based on the personal research and experience. Usage of this links is purely based on customer’s discretion.

The software prompts asking you to delete the Registry keys corresponding to the printer driver. Select all and delete them. Restart the computer to remove any traces of the printer software.

Perform the steps below and ensure that the services required for the printer to work are started.

1. Press the “Windows + R” to launch the run window.

2. Type “Services.msc” in the run window and hit the Enter key.

Right click each service mentioned below, click properties. Set the startup type as “Automatic” from the drop down menu and click “Start”. Please click “Apply” to save the changes.

The services to be enabled are:

•  Human Interface Devices (HID).

•  Printer Spooler.

•  RPC (Remote Procedure Call).

•  RPC Locator (Remote Procedure Call Locator).

•  Windows image acquisition (WIA).

•  Windows Installer.

Insert the printer driver’s cd for 3100CN and install the drivers in the computer.

If you do not have a cd use the following steps to download the printer drivers.

Download the printer driver from the link below.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/dell-3100cn

NOTE: Please do not connect the printer using the USB cable to the computer prior to installing the drivers.

Please copy the above mentioned link, paste it in the address bar of the new internet explorer window.

1. Select the operating system of your computer from the list.

2. Save the file to the desktop.

3. Double-Click on the downloaded file.

4. Click “Yes”, when the utility prompts to extract the files.

5. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

6. Connect the printer using the USB cable when prompted.

7. Try to print.

Reply with results.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• Wow, thanks so much for that detailed breakdown. First chance I get to try this out, probably Monday, I will report back and give an update.

Many thanks again!!

• Hello-

I followed all of your instructions, but I am not getting prompted or directed to do anything once the drivers are installed. Without this happening, when I plug in the printer's USB cable, the same thing occurs as it has repeatedly when I try to install the printer - it fails.

Is there supposed to be some type of installation executable/wizard that shows up OTHER than the one that unzips and creates a Dell driver folder?

• Hi swataz,

To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows 7 operating system, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type “cmd” in the Start Search box.
    2. Right-click “cmd” in the Programs list and then click “Run as administrator”. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click “Continue”.
    3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
    4. When the scan is complete, check if the printer drivers are installed correctly and try to print.

Although your Issue might not be tied with protected system files, this is to check if you have any other corruptions on your system. It maybe that your Windows Installation has picked up drivers corruptions over time from program installations.

Please try the above steps and reply with results.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

• Thanks very much for the extra steps, but unfortunately the scan revealed no corruptions existed, and the printer still doesn't have the drivers installed correctly.

I can't recall a time I have had such issues installing a USB-based printer.

So...are we all out of options?

• Hi swataz,

Please disconnect the USB cable from the computer and the printer and then try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

If the USB cable is connected while uninstalling the printer drivers, traces of the drivers remains in the registry of the computer.

Connect the USB cable only when the installation setup prompts you to.

Try and reply if that helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

• I will but that is just the issue - at NO TIME during the installation am I prompted to do anything by any source.

The installation download contains zipped drivers and that is all. Windows printer wizard doesn't prompt me to do anything nor is there a Dell installation wizard instructing me to do so. It is bizarre.

• Can you tell me if there is suppose dto be an installation program associated with the downloads on your site? Like an Installshield-based dialog box that steps you through the process? Because as if now this is what happens:

* The program was NOT in the uninstall program list, so I manually deleted the folder and references to it in the registry

* I download the drivers from the site, according to the link you furnished

* I launched that exe, which unzipped and installed the drivers in a C:\ Dell folder

After that, nothing else happened. Was there something that was SUPPOSED to happen? I figured that once the drivers were installed, I could attach the USB from the printer to my PC and it would search for them locally. Even when I POINT THE WINDOWS DIALOG to the folder in which the drivers are contained, it says it can't find them.

This is maddening.

• Hi swataz,

To check if the printer drivers are installed in the computer please follow the below steps:

Turn on your computer, click “Start”> “All Programs”>”Dell Printers”.

Check if the printer software is listed.

If the printer software is listed then open the program and connect the printer and try to print.

If the printer software is not installed in the path above then it could be a problem with the operating system of the computer.

Please check and reply.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell

• Hi Nikhil-

I did this and there is no Dell Printers listed in my program list.

I thank you for your help throughout the last week or so, it is appreciated.

However, I have the drivers installed on an XP machine that I also use, and that PC ALSO does not list Dell Printers in the program list. It is a 32-bit machine. BUT...this printer WORKS PROPERLY with that computer.

So, perhaps it is an OS corruption of some sort, but if the answer lies in the Dell Printers showing up within the program list off the start menu in XP as well as W7...I don't know, but it seems suspicious that it works within XP with the XP 32-bit driver and the W7 machine dosn't with its driver.

I have encountered others experiencing similar issues with W7 and this driver package, so I know I am not alone. If it is an OS corruption of some sort, it will eb a while before I can blow my laptop up.

Again, my thanks.

• If I recall correctly, when I installed the drivers on the XP machine, the Windows printer wizard found them right away and it installed. Who knows, maybe it is a problem with my W7 PC but it seems very random.

• Hi swataz,

Yes, you are correct the problem seems to be with the windows 7 OS in the computer. Please let me know if you want to reinstall the operating system in the computer. I will provide you the steps for the same.

Note: Reinstalling operating system deletes all the data from the computer, please back up all the data from the system before initiating data.

Kindly reply for further help.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nikhil D
    #iworkfordell