Dell V515W Printhead Problem - Printers Forum - Peripherals - Dell Community

Dell V515W Printhead Problem

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell V515W Printhead Problem

This question has been answered by MsRutherford1

My printer stopped working.  I am getting a 'there is a problem with the printhead" error.  I've cleaned and deep cleaned the printhead.  Right before this started, my pages were printing all blue.  Now I can't clean/deep clean/align or anything because of the error.  The printhead is not available for purchase through Dell.  The printer is 15 months old.

Verified Answer
  • My printer for several days would print out my document blank.  First the color print stop working then the black print stopped. I follow all the instructions from the printer, and nothing happen.  On my printer screen, it keep saying, " not working. Insert new printer head."  I call dell (1-800-624-9897)  and had them take over my computer to solve the problem with my printer.  The representative did a through job , and could not find the problem.  They  will be sending me a different printer in 5 bus. days. The printer head is the problem.  Where can I buy new printer head in the future?

• Hi....I've been with Dell for 10 years...Many desktops, new laptop recently, Many printers...... They've basically, on the whole, taken VERY good care of me.

I've had my latest Dell V-515W for approx 1-2 years, Dell replaced printhead  once after almost new. It has worked pretty well since, until the other day... printing some color photos, 1/2 jammed-up, color smeared all over... Afterwards, started getting "the Lines...," and afterwards, all color and black printing "light."

Changed cartridges, cleaned head, did all the options/fixes/installed updated firmware, over and over. Both colors print fine, Except lines still run sideways throughout, and everything prints light.  I've done ALL the cleaning, deep cleaning, new ink, shook the new cartridges, soaked head in alcohol....nothing changes?

I've really  NEVER had the need to go to these forums, and they are pretty cool..., but it seems I've learned that most everyone has had problems of one sort or another, similar..., with these Dell printers, wow! Ya think you are alone, and find out everyone has had same andor similar problems!

As most, naturally the printer is out of warranty, so no need to call Dell, so I checked self-help, these forums first.  I have 4 brand new V505's in the boxes..., but I,  as most say, they've been pretty satisfied with 515's when they are working. I started one up yesterday, for the heck of it, works perfectly. But, who wants to start another, use/waste a new machine, when the first one (v515) is "looking SO beautiful, on the outside as new!!

And naturally the printhead stuff is different (515 vs 505).

Now, the reason I entered forum... I saw one of the links about buying a printhead from Lexmark. I went there, called the people, they say the head that you..., send people to is NOT the correct part #, and is NOT for Dell printers. I told her (a supervisor) that this site is directing people there, and some have ordered and have had success, but she still insisted they no longer manufacture printers for Dell (as I saw on Dell's site a while ago, no more V-series..., looks like replaced by Cannon printers!), and did not want to tell me this part would work. She insisted we go to Dell. And we know what they will say..." no longer available, we can sell you another printer right now on the spot!"

Just wanted to "add" to the list of unsatisfied Dell printer customers... And impart my experience(s) with Dell V-515W, and the experience with Lexmark  tech employees. 

Thanks, Doctor Dave Bengard.

• I purchased the same printer and had problems after only a year and luckily I was able to get a new print-head literally 15mns before the warranty expired. Unfortunately the new print-head didn't last but all of a few weeks. I only use my printer for school and am a part time student (light load) and to have such an expensive printer not last is very upsetting. I have tried trouble shooting to get it to work and just bought more ink hoping that would help since occasionally I can get it to print but more times than not I get the annoying error message: there is a problem with your print-head....ugh!! I need a new printer and HATE dell.

Thank you for discontinuing a piece of <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> printer..just wish you would have done it a long time ago before so many people purchased the useless hunk of junk and now are out money and no printer.

All Replies
  • Yes, I have the same problem.  My printer was used about 8 times over a year. Don't print much at home. I've followed all the instructions and still get the printhead message. I will never by a Dell product again!!!

• Yes, I have the same problem.  My printer was used about 8 times over a year. Don't print much at home. I've followed all the instructions and still get the printhead message. I will never buy a Dell product again!!!

• www1.lexmark.com/.../catId=cat170011-category&prodId=6167-product

you can get the print head here, but currently its out of stock

• Hearing all these other comments, I won't waste the time.  Time to get a non-Dell printer.  Thanks anyway.

• I agree, not worth the time I went through to get the replacement printhead (lots of phone time), new printhead did not print clear, and now does not print blue or black. I refuse to phone them again, just went to Costco and bought an HP, easier and cheaper to replace each year than to phone Dell.

• Hi there, i have had the same problem and Dell have advised that a new printhead will cost me $280NZD  even though the printer is only $179NZD. I looked into the specs of each printer and found that the V313 uses the same cartridges and printhead as the V515 and retails for $69NZD. I bought that and it has fixed the problem and saved me $210NZD in doing so and i have an extra printer and leads etc.

• Same exact problem. Contacted Dell. They do not replace, as warranty is expired. They do not sell replacement heads.

End of my history with Dell.

I do not expect products to be perfect, that is why having replacement parts is BASIC.

His business model does not make any sense for me.

Bye bye DELL.

• Thanks to you all for confirming my experience.  V715w with a printhead error that did not resolve itself with new cartridges (now useless..) and cleaning.  After being a loyal Dell purchaser for many years, I am DONE WITH DELL.  I may just go ahead and replace the Dell laptop with a Mac as well.

• Thanks for saving me the time to go through Dell Hell...   I agree that I won't be buying Dell stuff anymore in general.

What has happened to this company?

• I just got off the phone with Dell support, although my printer contract is over, this is the second printer that they sent me....not even a year!!!  Printhead is not available but if I had a contract it would be!!!  They told me to try amazon!!!....I'm done with dell

• i have the same problem with my v313 printer and the printhead message i also called dell and found them to be of no use whatsoever.  my printer is 15 months old and lightly used.  they basically told me to go get a new printer.  my hp printer is over 7 years old still works so i will replace this piece of junk dell with it   that is if i can get my hp hooked up with the junky dell insperion  i have   i will never buy anything else from dell   they suck

• We have found a Replacement Printhead, when they're in stock.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

• RockSt☆r-Rick K

We have found a Replacement Printhead, when they're in stock.

Hi Rick,

These have NEVER been in-stock.  Also, lexmark.com doesn't ship to Canada and lexmark.ca doesn't list this P/N as a valid item.

-  Jagtar

• Hi Rick

Thanks for the info ..  Just ordered a printhead from Lexmark - hope it fixes my printhead issue.

If you swing any weight with Dell Please let them know how ticked the V515W owners are...

Bob

• Bob,

I wondered if your printhead was the original. I had a small issue with a similar printhead. Once I replaced the printhead, I don't have any problems, except running out of ink without notification, then children print and forget to tell me.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015