Dell V515W Printhead Problem

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell V515W Printhead Problem

This question is answered

My printer stopped working.  I am getting a 'there is a problem with the printhead" error.  I've cleaned and deep cleaned the printhead.  Right before this started, my pages were printing all blue.  Now I can't clean/deep clean/align or anything because of the error.  The printhead is not available for purchase through Dell.  The printer is 15 months old.

Verified Answer
  • I purchased the same printer and had problems after only a year and luckily I was able to get a new print-head literally 15mns before the warranty expired. Unfortunately the new print-head didn't last but all of a few weeks. I only use my printer for school and am a part time student (light load) and to have such an expensive printer not last is very upsetting. I have tried trouble shooting to get it to work and just bought more ink hoping that would help since occasionally I can get it to print but more times than not I get the annoying error message: there is a problem with your print-head....ugh!! I need a new printer and HATE dell.

Thank you for discontinuing a piece of <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> printer..just wish you would have done it a long time ago before so many people purchased the useless hunk of junk and now are out money and no printer.

All Replies
  • piercm,

Try reading...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Shake the Dell Series ink cartridges before reseating them.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Did all that.  As I said, now I can't do anything because of the printhead error.  Cleaned everything.  Re-seated everything.  Now the printhead error is preventing me from cleaning/printing/aligning, everything.

• piercm,

You can try calling Dell and see what they say. Tell them you have a printhead error.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• piercm,

I have had a printer head error on the same computer.   Dell has sent me one replacement and is in the process of sending me a second on now.  My printer is about seven months old and has had about a ream of paper ran through it.  I am very disappointed with this printer.  I had a Dell 948 before this one and never had a problem with it at all.

The only thing you can do is call Dell.  If your computer is still under service agreement they will replace the printer head, if not they most likely sell you one.

Good Luck

hounddog775

• My printer for several days would print out my document blank.  First the color print stop working then the black print stopped. I follow all the instructions from the printer, and nothing happen.  On my printer screen, it keep saying, " not working. Insert new printer head."  I call dell (1-800-624-9897)  and had them take over my computer to solve the problem with my printer.  The representative did a through job , and could not find the problem.  They  will be sending me a different printer in 5 bus. days. The printer head is the problem.  Where can I buy new printer head in the future?

• Just got off the phone with Dell Tech Support and can confirm the printhead is not available for sale...nor as a warrantly replacement...Hell, it's not available AT ALL!! Unless of course it comes attached to a new printer. My V515w printer is less than two years old and has seen light duty at best; it's main use has been as a scanner. Dell's suggested course of action? Throw it away and buy a new printer. This would be like junking your car because of a flat tire! Well, I may end up trashing my V515w, but I sure as Hell won't be replacing it with another Dell printer. In fact, after this experience, and my general displeasure with my recently purchased Dell laptop, I may just be finished with Dell...this after having bought seven computers, two printers, and numerous other peripherals and accessories from the company. This seriously represents one of the most ridiculous bits of product planning/customer service I've ever been personally involved with.

For those not yet quite in as dire straits as I am; In researching the issue further, I've discovered some advocate using an ink jet printer at least once a week to keep the ink from drying out. I was never aware of this before. In fact looking at the printhead in my V515w, it looks as though it is burnt...like an omlette left on the pan too long. So if you're not having serious problems yet, it probably wouldn't hurt to A) Turn the printer off when not in use. B) Run a full-color page through it once a week to keep the ink from drying out in the printhead and clogging it. and C) If you're still under your printer's warranty period, get a replacement printer or extended warranty before the factory warranty expires. Good Luck.

• I have essentially the same problem. My printer (V515W) has been lightly used for the past 18 months since purchase. I recently had to replace the color cartridge. As soon as I replaced it, the color quit working.After reseating cartridges and printhead, I get a printhead problem message. I can make that go away by unplugging the printer and plugging the power back in, but it will still only print in black. Besides reseating everything, I cleaned, deep cleaned and physically cleaned the printhead. I also alligned it. Still no luck. Tech support was not able to help. They did replace the color cartidge, but that didn't help either. I have decided the printer is a piece of junk. No more Dell products for me. I have used Dell for years (half dozen computers and two printers), but this really turned me off. I certainly recommend NOT buying a V515W All-in-one printer.

• rwturk,

Did you try...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

and

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Try shaking the Dell Series cartridges before reseating them.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I too had the same printhead issue with my Dell V515W (20 months old).  I contacted Dell Technical Support (1-877-293-1197) who updated the firmware on my printer.  That did not fix the problem.  They said that my since my printer is out of warranty, they cannot send me a new printhead.  I asked if I can buy a printhead.  I was told that was not possible and was advised that I need to buy a new printer.  They offered to sell me one on the spot.  No thanks... I am going to shop around elsewhere...

• Yes. Tried all of that and more. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

• The V715w has the same problems.  All of these Dell-branded, Lexmark-made printers are disposible.  A broken printhead means that you basically go out and buy another printer.

• Ditto the P713W. This is a home printer, lightly used, and at just over a year (essentially out of the warranty period) the color ink stopped working. Removed and cleaned the printhead, deep cleaned, etc. No luck. DONE WITH DELL! This printer (and apparently the equivalent models listed here) is the equivalent of a 1970s model car with a built-in shelf life, seemingly designed to fail, and if the engineers got it JUST right then it fails just out of warranty. If this post leaves any doubt then let me state plainly that I am extremely disappointed with this printer as well as the Dell service and response.

• Thanks for all the info, I also have the v515 purchased 18months ago and I have had nothing but trouble, mostly with Printhead error, just a couple of days ago while making some copies the message came on again and after exhausting every option on the troubleshooting it seams to be frozen reading Printhead error I am going to give up and go and buy a new printer and it wont be a Dell.    

• It is absolutely shocking the number of customers having these printhead related issues with the entire gamut of Dell-branded, Lexmark manufactured inkjet printers.  This would be (and rightly so) a corporate mark-of-shame on any other vendor, but Dell seems completely uncaring of the issue.  And in my book, that make Dell completely uncaring of it's customers.

Sony practically gave out free (well, heavily discounted) LCD TVs (and good ones at that) when an entire line of it's SXRD projection TVs were found to have a major design defect.  Sony had to be sued into doing it, but in the end, they did it.  Someone needs to treat Dell to the same lesson.

Yes, it's just a printer, and yes we're all free to dispose of them and buy a new (better) one from someone else, but then Dell gets off scott-free and we're left holding the bag.  And that is not fair.

- jagtarsingh

• I purchased a V515w 13 months ago and suddenly there is no color ink delivered by the print head.  No print head error but cannot get color ink to print.  Tried new cartridges, reseating and cleaning the print head contacts, shutting down and unplugging power for an hour, all no help.  One thing I have noticed on the test page is that the color cartridge is not 481 days old however the black cartridge is only 1 day since last install.  Printer is 349 days since install.  Is this another print head fatality for which there is no solution short of new printer?