Forums

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Printer Cartridge Woes

This question is not answered

Evening Forum,

My V515W was getting low in black ink so I purchased 2 DellY498D black cartridges. It all went very smooth until I went to pring. I ran a quick copy through the machine and it all went well until I went to shut off my printer and noticed a Warning: There is interferrance with the black ink cartridge communication". I did the usual, reset the cartridge and made sure the installation was properly placed. Oddly, if I shut the printer off and startup again, the copy will work for only one printed page, then I get the message. I then put 'back' my old cartridge and was able to print out a few pages but am very low on ink so I stopped.

My question, has this ever happened to others? And should I try to use the second cartridge I purchased? Perhaps I have a bad cartridge OR purhaps I have 2!!!

I Thank you ALL for enduring this long message but I wanted to go to the experts first. And Thanks for any help and time you may provide on my behalf. I will await your reply...  A Great Weekend to ALL.... especially to ALL the Mothers out there for their special Day on Sunday....   art

All Replies
  •  ArtC,

Try reading...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

Resolving Printhead Errors by Cleaning the Printhead on a Dell V313/V313w/V515w/V715w/P513w/P713w AIO Inkjet Printer

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

It is possible to get a bad cartridge or two.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks for the quick response. Cleaning the print head would have been a thought at my end except for 2 reasons;  #1 I only got this printer last August and this was the first ink cartridge I've had to replace and #2.... When I put the original cartridge back in,  the printer spit out about 3 pages and then I stopped it. I ink indicator bar showed on '1' bar left so I thought it was time to change. And this leads me to a bad cartridge which is why I asked the question on the Forum. When I ordered the ink, I purchased 2 cartridges. Before I opened the second one I thought I'd ask you guys since most of you appear to be a plithera of knowledge when it comes to  Dells products. And it has become more and more difficult to get help directly from Dell. So the Forum becomes #1 in my book. Again Thanks for the help. I'll wait a day or so longer and then perhaps open the second box. My BEST to ALL of the Forum......  art

• ArtC,

I have seen some ink cartridges have bad sensors and fail. Ink lasting as long as you stated, without getting dried out can sometimes be a miracle. I just experienced a different ink situstion. Take the cartridge and shake it and put the cartridge back in. At first I thought my cartridge was empty. Had a problem with my black, so I put the old cartridge back in and it registered 1/2 full, so it could be a sensor and/or the ink getting dried out.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Hi Art,

Did you ever resolve this problem? I have exactly the same problem that you describe. I ordered a new black cartridge from Dell but after installing it the printer (a P513w in my case) prints one page and then says "There is interference with the Black Ink Cartridge Communication". Same as you, if I restart I can print another page before getting the same error. I have also cleaned the printhead but no luck. Any other suggestions or is it a faulty cartridge?

Thanks.

Bath Ranger

• It does look like this error message is because of a faulty cartridge.  I rang Dell Technical Support, gave them details of the problem and my order number, they sent me a new replacement cartridge free of charge and that worked perfectly.

• I have a different printer type (V715w), but had a similar error message.  I just changed the black toner cartridge and things seem fine now.  This discussion helped a lot.

• I've replaced the black ink cartridge twice with the same message both times and now my color ink cartridge is saying the same thing.  Lexmark (the maker of Dell printers) and Dell seem to be the problem, not the cartridges.  

• Thank you -- I'm not surprised about the repeating problem.  I haven't had further problems with this since the message I posted in August, but will not be surprised if it happens again.  I've had the printer less than a year and am already considering buying something different.

• I absolutely hate this printer!!!  I have only had it for 13 months.  I'm always having issues with it.  I've called Dell a thousand times about this printer.  I asked for a replacement early on when I thought it was too new to have so many issues.  They kept fixing it and I eventually bought a year service to get help. 

In a nutshell, I just replaced both cartridges today and for the first time, I'm seeing this NEW error message just like you.  Of course my year service contract has run out and I've tried cleaning the printhead, turning off and on, putting the old cartridges in there, unplugging things only to end up half bald from pulling my hair out.  I'm just trying to get my coupons printing.  I"m so frustrated with this Dell product!

• nickybonita,

Replaying to an old post may not give you the correct answer you're looking for.

Try reading...

Cleaning the Printhead on Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

and

Troubleshooting Printhead Problems on the Dell AIO V313w, V515w, V715w, P513w, and P713W Printers

The Printer Does Not Recognize the Ink Cartridge or Only Prints in One Color

Here is a Replacement Printhead if needed.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• No.  That is not the problem, nor is it a path to the solution.

I have a Series 24 cartridge that works fine.  I reordered for the 715w and received series 21.  Dell believes these are compatible and does not provide seies 24 cartridges anymore.  They are not compatible.  I bought one from a box store.  Same issue.

24 works.  21 does not. 

The reason some of you are seeing the cartridge work once is that it still has some ink in it.  Once it runs out then you will not be able to print with that cartridge por any other one.

Planned obsolesence.  If you got through one toner cartridge then your printer has outlived its useful life.

• movingtarget1970,

Did you call Dell Spare Parts at 1-877-717-3355

Dell Series 24 ink cartridges were High Capacity cartridges and the Dell Series 21 were not high capacity. They should work in this printer.

I'm trying to see if I can find out any information.

Rick

#DellRockStar