All in One Printer A940 Driver for Windows 7

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

All in One Printer A940 Driver for Windows 7

This question is not answered

I just recently bought a new Dell computer type inspiron 580MT with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I tried to install the All in One Printer A940. Looking within this forum I can see that the drivers for Windows Vista 64 bit would work with Windows 7. However when I download and install the driver exactly as told in the forum I always get the message device driver not installed. When checking in menue printers and devices it shows me that there are no drivers installed therefore I cannot even make a driver update. Interestingly the Scanner is working but the printer doesn't. Do you have any other sugestion for me to try?

All Replies
  •  Farad,

First try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell A940 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I did it exactly as you wrote to do but I still get the message device drivers didn't get installed. Again the scanner does work but not the printer. Do you have any other idea?

• Farad,

Try going to...

C:\dell\drivers\R153050

Look for setup.exe right click on it, left click properties. Click the compatibility mode tab. Select Vista. Right click on setup.exe, left click run as administrator. The printer should install.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Thank you very much for your advices but I did exactly like you said without success. Let me explain what happens:

When I start the program C:\dell\drivers\R153050 with left click properties, compatibility mode, vista sp2 selected, right click on setup and click run as administrator the program starts until I am asked to connect the printer. When I connect the printer the installation continues and the message "device drivers are being installled" comes up. It installes the Dell communication subsystem and then says installing dell printer a940 scanner, when the scanner installation is finished it says drivers not installed. When finished and I click in the message center it says: Dell AIO-Printer ready to use   Dell A940 drivers not found.

As I said I can scan but I cannnot print. I bought this printer about 5 years ago and I cannot understand that I have to trash it just because dell cannot provide drivers for it. My brother runs a 8 year old hp all in one printer and even for this printer Windows 7 drivers are available. I cannot believe that Dell is not able to develop working drivers for its products. I am getting desprate since I am spending hours and hours to get the printer to work and it doesn't.

P l e a s e, do you have any other ideas that could get this printer to work?

Thank you in advance!  

Reinhard

• Reinhard,

The computer with Windows 7, did it come with Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit?) or was this upgraded?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I received the desktop one week ago from Dell with Windows 7 64bit already installed.

Reinhard

• Reinhard,

What virus protection are you using? Firewall?

Make sure this is enabled.

Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Virus protection is McAfee

Firewall is Windows Firewall

Since only the scanner is working and not the printer I only can get into the scanner properties and not the printer properties. The scanner properties don't have a card that says "port" therefore I cannot enable the Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional support.

When I go to the "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" and look for "Bidirectional Support/....." I try to enable the box but I cannot because the whole line is not highlighted.

Reinhard

• Reinhard,

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I activated "File Sharing" in McAfee as you told me, I ran "DellCleanupUtility" restarted the computer and reinstalled the drivers but the result is the same as it was before no driver is installed.

Reinhard

• Farad,

Are you trying to share the printer with another computer?

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I am not trying to share the printer with another computer. I just would like to get the printer running on my new Dell desktop and every time I try to install the Windows Vista 64bit drivers I only get the scanner to work but the printer says no drivers are installed. I just would like to get the Dell AIO printer A940 to work with my brand new Dell desktop. That is all I want.

Reinhard

• Reinhard,

I think we should go back to this.

First try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Please read How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager and use Internet Explorer to download the drivers.

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

The Dell Download Manager and the drivers sometime sitting there are probably why the drivers are not installing. Installing the drivers first, then attaching the printer, the drivers then get installed. You have to use the Vista 64-bit Drivers in the Vista( I used Vista SP2)  Compatibility mode

You allowed the printer past McAfee's firewall.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I tried everything you wrote but it is not possible to download the driver not using the Dell Download Manager. Everytime I try to download the driver I am asked to install the Dell Download Manager. If I click don't install nothing happens. It is not possible to "download using my browser" this choice to select I never get.

I am getting tired of Dell not supporting its own devices. I will buy hp devices I know they are working with Windows 7. This was the last time I bought from Dell.

•  Farad,

You have to delete all the Dell cookies. I don't think the Dell Download Manager installed in the control panel, programs and features. I would use CCleaner to remove the cookies, then open Internet Explorer and download the drivers in your browser.

Rick

#DellRockStar