Dell 720 Printer and Windows 7 - can't get my printer to work

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 720 Printer and Windows 7 - can't get my printer to work

This question is answered

I downloaded the Dell 720 Printer Vista Drivers because Windows 7 doesn't exist and it was supposed to work.  I unzipped the files and clicked on set up, it doesn't give me an error but it doesn't work.  Any suggestions?  I hate to relace the printer, as it has worked perfectly.  My new laptop is a HP - upgraded my Dell after issues.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  •  kmcfiggens,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computeer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and then install the drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode. You'll get a message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 720 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

All Replies
  •  kmcfiggens,

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computeer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and then install the drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode. You'll get a message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick - thank you so much!!  My printer is now working.  It took me a while since I'm a novice, but I am now connected.  Appreciate your help!!!!

Kathy

• Kathy,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Hi,

I have a brand new Dell Windows 7 PC.

I tried installing my Dell 720 Printer using the patch from the  Dell 720 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)  but now I think I have more problems:

1. Dell Stage has a blank pop up dialog box that keeps coming even though I close it.

2. I got a windows message saying something about a compatibility issue recommending a system restore.  When I tried system restore it failed.

3. The printer magically appeared even though I did not install the drivers after running the patch but it won't print.

4. Delete print jobs + restart won't print either.

Any suggestions?

I would like to install without having to re-install Wndows and Dell right out of the box...

Thanks!

• jar0415,

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Thanks!

Now I just need to reinstall Dell Stage I think...

• jar0415,

Go to My Dell Downloads :: Login Use the same email address and password here. Click on add system. Then you can download Dell Stage from there.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Similar problem

• Hi, i am having problems printing. i have a gateway desktop with windows7, an when i plug my printer Dell720 it wont let me print?

• Problems1,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
    Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista
    Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

#DellRockStar