Setting up Dell 948 wireless cannot find wireless network

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Setting up Dell 948 wireless cannot find wireless network

This question is not answered

I purchased a Dell 948 wireless card on eBay and successfully got it plugged in and the printer recognizing it.  The Dell 948 setup program also recognizes that there is a wireless adaptor card inserted.  However as I progress thru the Apply wireless settings step, the Dell AIO Printer 948 Installation program tells me that the settings I entered may not match the settings of the network.  I have the options to change settings or try again if I have moved the wireless printer closer to the wireless router.

The wireless printer is directly under the wireless router.  It is a linksys wrt110.

By default I use WEP on my wireless router.  I have a windows xp laptop and a windows 7 laptop that connects just fine.

I set my router to no security to see if I can connect.  I tested this change on my wireless laptop which says it connected to a nonsecure wireless network.  The 948 installation wizard still indicates it is unable to connect to the wireless network.

I tried WPA as suggested on some forums.  Again, my laptop reconnects and shows connection to a WPA network, but I get the same behavior from the installation program.

My next option I suppose is to update the printer firmware.

Any other suggestions?  I see someone else asked a similar question last year but got no response.

All Replies
  •  efrinmn,

The adapter should recognize WEP but I have a few questions before proceeding.

What version of XP is installed on the XP machine? SP1, SP2, or SP3?

Make and model of your wireless router is helpful and items like...

Firmware updated

SSID broadcast

Type of security

mixed mode

what channel

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Hi Rick,

Thanks for helping again.  I have  XP SP3 installed on the dell 4500s workstation.  My router is  a Linksys wrt110, firmware is 1.0.0.4 build 10. SSID broadcast is "Fred",  using WEP 40/64bit.  Network mode is mixed mode  and channel is Auto - 20/40MHz Channel.  The 948 installation wizard detects several wireless networks, including mine, and I select mine, it is only after it asks me for the security type and then the network key does it not find it (during the Configuring Printer Adapter step).

• efrinmn,

The Linksys WRT110 firmware can be updated from HERE.

I would change my security to WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal). WEP can be hacked in lesss than 10 minutes. Looks like your systems will connect, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I would change my SSID to something different to make connecting easier. I would uses these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper drivers for the computer you want to use. Choose new installation and it should prompt you to connect the printer using the USB Cable. It should ask for SSID, type of security and password. If the computer you're trying the initial installation is the XP machine, then you can use the printer disk. If installing the printer on Windows 7, download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the printer in the Compatibility mode

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!