Is there a Windows 7 driver that works for a Dell 1700 Printer?

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Is there a Windows 7 driver that works for a Dell 1700 Printer?

This question has suggested answer(s)

Just purchased a Dell 1745 laptop that came with Windows 7. Prior to the laptop I had been using a Dell 1700 printer for 4 years with Windows XP with few problems. My oddessy started with my loading the original driver that came with the printer in 2005. No luck. Windows 7 treated the printer as a alien  piece of hardware. Then went to the Dell Support site and found a Windows 7 driver and loaded that. No luck. Went back to the Dell Support site dug further and read that you should load the Vista not Windows 7 driver so I downloaded the Vista driver and tried that. No luck. Then went to the Dell Community site and read that you need to right click on the Vista driver solution and change it's compability mode to Vista. Tried that no luck. In my printer panel I can see a Dell model 1700 icon. I can "print" but nohing hqppens. The Dell Studio laptop is not recognizing the printer. Then tried the "install local printer" method to try and force the linkage (see Dell community 11/2/09 notes again) but no luck. I could not direct Windows to the correct printer driver file. I then tried dowloading the Lexmark printer driver for Windows 7 and no luck. SO I AM SHOUTING OUT TO THE DELL COMMUNITY. HELP! There has to be an effective way to load a new driver and have Windows 7 recognize the printer. 

All Replies
  • When I went from XP to Win7, I used the XP installation CD for the 1700N.  It works perfectly.

Try and find a download from Dell for the XP 1700 driver.  I never did find it.  Glad I had the old CD.