Dell 926 printer will not print after installing Windows 7

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 926 printer will not print after installing Windows 7

This question is answered

After upgrading to Windows 7 my 926 printer will not print. I followed the suggestions found here ( unplug printer at wall, remove brick, down load patch R166248  to remove printer, down load latest driver, R146832 dated 1/26/07, reboot). On reboot, driver goes through entire install process then I get an eror message at the end of the process, " Dell Photo Printer 926 Printer Driver is not Installed". I have done this several times. Plus I restarted the print spooler several times. No luck. Any additional suggestions on how I can get my 926 to work with Windows 7?

Verified Answer
  • Greg,

I think we all regret our first marriage, well most of us. Wink

Delete Print Jobs is a really nice way to get rid of your documents. After you restart your computer, you should be able to run the patch, Manual Printer Driver Removal and restart one more time. The try installing the Vista Drivers in the compatibility mode, I used Vista SP2.

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

All Replies
  • OBX Greg,

Try disconnecting the printer, run the patch, it may or may not work. Then Manual Printer Driver Removal. Restart your computer. Then install the  proper drivers. If the printer does not install, go through the process again except install the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens..

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista/Windows 7  32-bit Drivers

Vista/Windows 7 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick,

I followed your suggestions,

Disconnect printer (USB plus power)

Ran the patch (Dell Clean up utility R166248)

Reboot

Install new driver (R146832 dated 1/26/07)

However, when I get to “test page” during the install...message “could not start printing”. I did this 5 times but I didn’t install the driver in the compatibility mode because I don’t know how to.

I ran across several issues:

The test page was stuck in my print spooler. I manually restarted the print spooler but it still didn’t print.

Java - I have Java 6 update 15. I tried to install Java 6 update 17 but got an error code 1722 “there is a problem whit this windows installer package”. I turned off my spy ware and anti-virus programs but still got the error message. Is update 15 good enough?

Greg

• Greg,

I recently installed Windows 7 on a seperate partition and got to try it.

Java 6 update 15 probably has security issues, that's why the keep updating the versions of Java.

You need to disconnect the printer, then run the patch. Also check for any drivers not removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

When you go to install the printer drivers, try using the Vista compatibility mode, explained below.

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Greg,

Also...

Java Error 1722

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

First, I downloaded Java 6 update 17. However, I still can’t install the driver in compatibility mode as you clearly outlined. I followed your steps (click on Properties then click on compatibility). The problem is when I click on Properties I get 5 tabs, “General, Sharing, Security, Previous version, Customize”. There is no “compatibility”. I continued the driver installation and when I was completed (again no test page was printed) I got a message saying the print driver was not installed. I have made two decisions in my life that I regret the most....my first marriage...and upgrading to Windows 7 !

Greg

• Rick,

Forget my previous post. I was able to run the driver update in Vista Service pack 2 compatibility. But it didn't print a test page at the end. I went into my print spooler and found a "untitled" document "deleting"...since 11/1/09. That's when I first tried to get my printer to run under Windows 7.  Maybe that is my problem..a spoooler that isn't working. Any suggestions ?

Greg

• Rick,

One other thing. I tried manual print driver removal. There where 5 drivers listed, all in the spool subfolder. However, they would not delete. I got a message saying "they were in use" and the drivers stayed.

Greg

• Greg,

I think we all regret our first marriage, well most of us. Wink

Delete Print Jobs is a really nice way to get rid of your documents. After you restart your computer, you should be able to run the patch, Manual Printer Driver Removal and restart one more time. The try installing the Vista Drivers in the compatibility mode, I used Vista SP2.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

It worked ! My printer is working thanks to your patient, detailed help. Writing that little command program took me back to my dot prompt days writing config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Yes, I am old enough to remember DOS 1.5. Thanks again. I could not have done it without your help.

Greg

• Greg,

GREAT JOB! Yes You did all the hard work, I just tried to give you a little path to follow. No, I would NEVER know Dos. I just learned many things since 2002 when I got my first computer. I did some research for that command and it's come in handy many times.

If you could mark the Verified Answer(s) of the threads that helped you fix your problem, that way if others search the forums, they can see what you did to get your printer working.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Great News.... I've found the answer !!!! (after looking after it for a year...)

If your problem looks like this:
    Driver setup software will only install  the scanner, and the some soft, but wouldnt install the PRINTING Driver. After install, you see the printer in the control panel, but it wont print.

Reason and how to troubleshooting this:

You might be encountering problems due to programming failure(s) of the english driver for non-english windows !!

For example driver verions A01 named R150175.exe (aimed, according to Dell.com,  both for english and international users with 64 bits OS ) wouldnt work in FRENCH WINDOWS 7 or 8 (wether 32 or 64 bits). But FRENCH ONLY LOCALIZED PILOTE named  R260237.exe ( 06/05/2010 version A00) do WORK!!
    You can get it there :
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/fr/fr/bfbsd1/Product/dell-926

So everybody...just go to your country dell support page and try to find the former drivers that were localized version only. Not english. Not international. That would do the trick!!

By the way, you can get some hint on this issue on:
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19530790.aspx