cartridge missing-brand new-tried a few

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

cartridge missing-brand new-tried a few

This question is not answered

Hi I recently replaced the cartridges in my Dell Photo 964 Printer with brand new Dell original ink. 

At first it said the colour cartridge was missing on my printer and on my computer. So I tried the other ink cartridge, same thing.  I rang Dell and they sent me a replacement cartridge, but again, same error.  I was still able to print, but only in black.  Today, when I tried to print, it's telling me that both cartridges are missing!!!!

I have turned it off, turned it on, taken the power pack out and waited 60 seconds, made sure there wasn't any fluff on the contacts.  All  failed to fix the problem.

Of course the printer is out of warrenty, and if I hadn't just spent $250 on 5 new ink cartridges, I would probably go and buy a new printer. 

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me out.

Fingers crossed, FunnyMum.

All Replies
  • FunnyMum,

Start, control panel, printers, Dell Photo 964 printer, printer preferences. Make sure the box is not check to print in B&W

Start, control panel, printers, Dell Photo 964 printer, printer preferences, advanced, more options. Make sure the complete-a-print boxes are unchecked.

These are the first things I'd look at. and make sure they're Series 5.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

Black in Left, black side                          Color in right, color side

Photo cartridge in left, black side          Color in right, color side.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks Rick, unfortunatly I did everything you suggested and the same error is coming up.  I even removed the cartridges, turned and machine off, removed the power pack, waited, put power pack back in turned it on. This time when the error came up I know it was right, there were no cartridges.  So I reinstalled them hoping I'd nutted it out, but NO!! SAME SILLY MESSAGE!!  It's making me so mad, I have some important things to print and the fact that I've wasted $250 on ink doesn't sit well with me.

Please, Please, Please Help Me!!!

• FunnyMum,

I can only suggest that you call the number on the shipping slip and tell them that you again got Dell Series 5 ink cartridges that are defective.

I would try picking up replacements at Staples or Walmart, at a pinch. If you have the old cartridges, try putting them back in and see if they work. I'd take the chance and go for replecements if you urgently have to use the printer. Other than that, call Dell and wait.

Strange thing is I never had a problem with my 964 printer or Dell Series 5 ink cartridges purchased from Dell.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have a Dell AIO 944 with the same problem.  I have the printer for a while and had no problems.  One day I tried to attach it to my laptop,  which I've done before, and I told me to replace the ink.  I did, even though it was working fine withthe ink it had just before.  It still keeps telling me to replace the ink.  I tried unplugging etc. It's not the ink.  The "brains" of the printer is messed up.