3100cn message to replace black toner

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

3100cn message to replace black toner

This question is not answered

Hi, I have a 3100cn that keeps displaying a replace black cartridge message.  I have tried 2 or 3 different ones to no avail.  When you open up the front door, black toner was all over the cartridge.  I took out the cartridge, and toner developer housing and cleaned out the housing as it was packed with toner and would hardly turn.  I put it back it, and the machine goes into the calibration cycle, but comes back with the error "replace black toner"  I don't see any toner on the bias roller.   Any help would be appreciated.  Does anyone have a parts diagram for this machine? 

All Replies
  • I've seen this before and it can be illusive to properly diagnose and fix.
    One workaround is to enable a setting called "Non-Dell Toner"
    ( Menu > Configure > Maintenance > Non-Dell Toner > ON )
    If this works, it pretty much confirms the cartridge detection circuits are messed up and, you'll be able to use your machine again.

Which leads to the question...... Are you using genuine Dell toner? If not, this is probably only the beginning of more problems. The company that makes these printers for Dell has a trade secret on the toner formulation. Compared with 3rd party toners, it is not the same and will eventually ruin the inner workings of the printer. If the 3rd party manufacturer says differently, ask them if they'll pay for damages.

Obtw...... service info on Dell printers is made available only to trained Dell Service Providers.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • Thanks for your reply.  I was using toner that was supposed to be "pulled" from working printers, but I suspect it must have been refilled.  I had the "non dell toner" setting enabled, but it still asks to replace black toner.  Do you know if a developer housing from a different color will work in place of the black?  I was wondering if the difference is just the black sticker.  I have access to a new magenta one and could see if it might work.  How does the printer know when the cartridge is full or empty.  I didn't see any wires or connections.  I have read about a toner sensor that can get messed up.  I am working overseas so have to diagnose this myself.  Thanks for your help.

• Sorry, the developer units are not interchangeable. They have the interlocking slots/tabs that prevent the wrong toner cart color from being fully seated and are unique to each color.

That machine must really be sick. I think this is the first time I've heard of the "Non-Dell Toner" setting not letting the machine function. Did you already have that setting enabled? (before you read my suggestion?)

The Toner cart communicates with the printer (wireless) using an RFID chip implanted in the right-end of each toner cartridge. If you've ever removed the right side cover, up near the top of the chassis you'll see an assembly that's a coil of wire. This is the proximity coil (antenna) for the RFID chips in the toner carts. As the carousel rotates and "parks", it reads and writes data to the Toner cart RFID chip.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • Yes, the non-dell toner setting was enabled before.  The black toner doesn't appear to be feeding into the developer housing when the machine goes into the calibrating mode.

• I have the same problem as them except it is the Yellow toner. 

1. I set the printer to (Non-Dell Toner) - after reading this post (btw, I have tried 3 toner cartirdges, all of which I got directly from Dell)

2. After a prolonged period of Calibration, (seems longer than normal). I get message to replace Yellow toner.

3. Another odd thing is that the catridge is covered with toner, it's actually all over the inside of the printer.

Anything additional I can try?

• I have the same problem. I have not tried the Non-Dell Toner setting yet. I put a mark on the black developer to see if it was turning. It does not look like it is turning. Maybe it does not turn if it does not detect the toner cartridge.

• I have the same problem. I only use NEW DELL toners in my printer.  I have replaced the black toner with 2 new toners directly from Dell.  No luck.  I also tried the "Non-Dell Toner" but that did not help.  I took out all of the toners and cleaned the printer really well.  Then I replaced all of the toners.  I have reset the NVRAM and still nothing works.