Dell 3000cn paper jam/grinding noise

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 3000cn paper jam/grinding noise

• I have a Dell 3000cn printer, but it is no longer under warranty.  I am checking with users here to see if there is a solution to this problem.

I recently replaced the drum cartridge and the cyan and black toner cartridges.  Since I have done this, I am getting repeated paper jam/close reg cover errors and a grinding noise from the feed roller.

When a print job starts, a sheet of paper is fed from the MPF tray.  The feed roller loads the paper and then "clicks" into a position and a grinding noise starts.  I can reach in the back of the MPF tray and rotate the feed roller back to stop the grinding noise, but the next sheet of paper that feeds causes the noise to start again.

The message displayed on the front panel is:

Paper Jam

Open Reg Cover

I open the back cover but there is no paper in any of the printer.

I have read various posts about this maybe being a sensor issue.  While it would be nice to have a service manual for the printer, I have searched but cannot locate one.

Can anyone help with a solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Don Metzler

• Don,

Paper jam errors can sometimes be misleading. The printer reports this error because the paper was expected to arrive at the registration sensor within a predetermined period of time. If the paper never got there, the printer thinks the jam has occurred somewhere prior to that point and reports a failure

The optical sensors in these printers rarely fail.

In your case, you've said: "I open the back cover but there is no paper ". The problem is that the paper has never left the tray area and fed into the registration area.

The gear that's grinding is the segment gear not engaging the paper transport gears correctly.

Have you removed and/or replaced the vertical transport assy (aka, registration assy), i.e., the part in the back of the printer having two pairs of rollers? (one of the top pair is steel).

Did it work before you changed toners, Drum, etc?

Changing the drum or toners has no relationship to the issue you're experiencing.

Message Edited by llynster on 07-17-2008 09:21 AM

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • Thank you for the reply.

The printer was working great until I did replace the drum and toners.  While I would not think this would change the printer functionality, I find it coincidental that the printer would fail right after changing the drum and toner cartridges.

Let me also add that the first page feeds correctly, prints and gets all the way through the printer.  It is at the end of the paper feed that the feed roller starts "grinding" and the "Paper Jam/Open Reg Cover" occurs after the page has printed.  So the sequence is:

1) Print job starts

2) Paper starts feeding

3) Grinding noise starts

4) Print page completes

5) Feed roller/grinding stops

6) Paper Jam/Open Reg Cover error message is displayed.

What is the vertical transport assembly, specifically?  Can this be replaced?  If so, how do I order a part, and better, is a service manual available?

Thanks,

Don

• Don,

OK, thanks for the clarification on the sequence of events.

Will the printer print more than a one page job OK?

I wasn't suggesting that the VTA needs replaced, but was just wondering if it had been taken out & put back in recently. The symptoms you descibe fit a scenario where it wasn't put back in correctly. That doesn't like the case here.

This can also be caused by excess toner spillage into the paper feed gear train area. Toner is gritty and can effectively cause stiffness in the gears and bushings.

Uhhhh..... how mechanically inclined are you?

Service docs are NOT available on this machine.

But, If you send me a PM with your home email, I think I can get you some stuff to help you out.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Some times the printer will print more than one page, but most often only a single page before the paper jam message.

No - the VTA has not been removed recently.

I am very mechanically inclined.  I have thought about taking the printer apart, but without any sort of service manual I'd rather not do this.  Since the printer is out of warranty and not working now, I figure I have nothing to lose by trying to track down and fix the problem myself.

Thanks again,

Don

• Replied to your PM

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • and btw..... a good source of spare parts (i.e., entire printers) is eBay.

But if you plan to spend any money, a really sweet little machine is the Dell 1320c color printer.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Thanks for the information.

BTW - in my case, what is the "grinding" noise?  It appears as if the feed roller rotates too far when feeding the paper and something is not aligned correctly.

Thanks,

Don

• The noise is probably being casued by a "segment" drive gear that is not fully rotating back to the "home" position. At home, it waits for a paper feed command to energize a solenoid, releasing the drive gear for one complete revolution. If the shaft bushings or anything else in the mechanism is stiff, the gear may not return to the home position. What your hearing is the tail end of the segment gear grinding against the paper feed gear train. Too much and it will cause damage to the gear train.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Thanks for the explanation.  This makes sense, and it was great to hear it from someone who understands the printer so well.

Don