Dell 1700 Laser Printer

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Dell 1700 Laser Printer

• My printer recently quit feeding paper to print.  I was told I needed a new drum kit which would fix the problem.  Ordered the drum kit and installed it, reset the printer per instructions and problem is still unresolved.  Any suggestions?  At first I was able to single feed paper for printing and now it won't allow that option.
  • Hmmmm.... I've never heard of a drum fixing a PAPER FEEDING problem..... who made that recommendation? They need to be buying you that drum !!

Does the paper not pull from the TRAY at all ?

Are there any "tire" marks from the feed rollers on the paper surface when yuou open the paper drawer?

Were you single feeding from the front slot? (and this doesn't work now either?)

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
    • internet connected via WildBlue satellite
  • My boss also has a dell 1700 and he said after so many copies they told him you have to replace the drum.  The paper feed is a way of triggering the drum replacement.  When I ordered the drum from Dell the representative also confirmed that I needed a new drum and it would then feed the paper properly after I reset the printer.

The paper is not leaving the paper tray, it just picks up the corner then gives me the paper jam message.  There are no tracks on the paper.  It just kind of curls it up.

I was single feeding it through the front of the printer. 

I did talk with someone who told me I probably needed to clean my rollers.  I did see the entries about turning the printer up and shaking it to ensure there is nothing in it.  This did not prove to be successful either.

• OK.... we have some basic operational misunderstandings here.

True. Each time a page is printed, that count is accumulated. After the rated amount, the printer will signal its time for a drum change. If you exceed the rated amount (there's always a little "wiggle" room), the printer can actually stop printing anything until the drum is changed.

That said, if the drum has not reached its rated capacity, then I don't see any way replacment of the drum can correct a paper FEEDING problem. By your description, I assumed that's what's happening in your case.

This printer does not have gravity paper feed mechanism so turning it over and shaking it won't do anything except to spred toner into undesired areas inside the printer.

I need you to elaborate on this:

The paper is not leaving the paper tray, it just picks up the corner then gives me the paper jam message.  There are no tracks on the paper.  It just kind of curls it up.

After trying to print, if you pull the tray out several inches, is the paper curled or folded against the inside front edge of the tray?

Also, what happens if you try to feed paper in the front? After pushing the paper in so far, the printer should grab the paper and feed it another inch or so.

Message Edited by llynster on 03-20-2008 11:44 AM

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • Thanks for responding so promptly.  The paper is curled up in the paper tray when I receive the paper jam message.  I just tried the front single feed and it worked properly this time.
  • Pull out the paper tray and examine the front inside edge. It should be a steep slope with 4 to 6 metal "guideramps" positioned along the inside edge. These metal guideramps muyst not have any burrs, cuts, or jagged edges.

Next, pull the toner/drum cart from the printer and set it in a flat darkened location. (that green drum is sensitive to bright lights)

Next, Power off teh printer and remove the data and power cables.

Next, flip the printer up onto its back so you can view the area where the paper tray WAS.

Next, you should see an assembly that looks like a "T". A gear should be seen in the top center and on each end of the T, a rubber wheel. Pull the top arm of the T out towards you and examine the hub of each wheel. There will be a clip on each end of the shaft that when released, will alllow you to remove the entire feed roller (hub and tire). Remove both feed rollers.

(obtw, the T is spring-loaded and when released, should snap back into position)

Next, using warm water and a mild soap solution (never alcohol), wash the grime from the riubber tire surfaces then completely dry both feed rollers.

Next, Reverse the above steps.....

While you have the printer up on its back, examine the slot where the paper must travel out of the tray and up into the printer. It shoud not have any remnant pieces of paper or labels or "other" things jammmed in there.

Let me know what happens

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • O.K. gotcha on everything except (sorry for my ignorance) but how do I get the clip to release so I can remove the rubber to clean?  I've looked through my owner's manual and don't really see anything on this procedure.  The paper tray is as should be;  no pieces of paper in the path so hopefully this cleaning will do it once I figure out how to release the clip.  I feel so stupid.

Joyce

• No worries.... There's a first time for everything. :smileywink:

Rotate the wheel and you will see the clip also rotate. The clip is physically part of the shaft and "pokes out" under the edge of the feed roller hub. It's not very big. Turn the feed roller to the best position that works for you and press the clip towards the center of the shaft. As you press in the clip, slide the feed roller off the end of the shaft.

BE VERY CAREFUL not to break the clip off. If you do, it's not field replaceable.

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop
  • tyvm.  The clip was where I thought it was, just not sure how to release it.  Bingo, it worked.

Excellent instructions.

Joyce

• So..... does "Bingo" mean the printer is pulling paper and printing now?

IF so, most excellent !!

Glad I could help.

Can I get you to look at the "Accepted Solution" FAQ.

It can help out others using this forum.

Message Edited by llynster on 03-20-2008 08:12 PM

"the Llynster"

• CompTIA PDI+ Certified
    • all dell shop