right cartridge incorrect

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

right cartridge incorrect

• NO!!! and I have the same problem. I do not disagree with the chip expiration theory as you could use a refill ink needle.  They can over look this by chipping them. Since there is no answer and we all have the same problem at the same time it must be true. Do not buy DELL anymore . try to ween away if you can. They need to be sent a message to stop doing stuff liek this. I have a problem with my dell all-in-one printer too. It wont install teh whole program anymore just the driver so I cant use the features. I pray DELL goes bankrupt!!

• One person suggested taking the internal battery out. Did anyone try that and did it work? How do you remove the battery. I have a brand new cartridge. It's from Dell, hasn't been refilled (by me anyway). I cleaned everything. Tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in. Reinstalled the drivers. It's still giving me the same error message that the Left Cartridge is incorrect. Does anyone have a solution?

• I've been using Dell products for years now and have always been satisfied.  I hadn't used my printer in about 3 months or so, and I go to use it and it says both of the cartridges are empty.  I vaguely remember that they were running out last time I used it.  So I go to Dell.com and order new high-capacity black and color cartridges for my Dell AIO 922.  Wait 4 days.  Cartridges arrive.  I take the old ones out and put the new ones in. 

Bam - "right cartridge incorrect."  What???  So I take it back out and notice there's blotchy ink all over the contacts on the printer (not the cartridge).  So I clean the contacts very carefully.  Put the new cartridge back in - nothing.  So I turn it off, unplug it for a while, come back, plug it in and start it up (hoping it will have just forgotten that it hated me).  No such luck.  I have been trying to solve this for an hour now.  Looking everywhere on the web for solutions.  Printer not under warranty anymore but the cartridge is.  There are a TON of posts about this happening with tons of Dell and HP printers.  Like 1000s of posts by people trying not to lose their minds.  How is it that nobody has found a solution for this yet???  Somebody please help...Dell...if you're out there...please fix this.  Loyal customers such as myself would like to continue to feel loyal to you...

• mackenziejhaughen,

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer had. Plug everything back in. Power on the printer.

Open the printer with the power on and remove the Dell Series 5 black ink cartridge and make sure the tape is off the cartridge, then reseat the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 5 color cartridge. Now when you close the printer, it should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them and cannot be refilled. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

They can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's website.

It's possible to get a bad Dell Series 5 cartridge. Take it back to the place of purchase for a replacement. Make sure to tell them about the ink.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks for your suggestion Rick.  I did everything you mentioned above and the "right cartridge incorrect" did not go away.  I repeated several times to no avail.  Also, when following your procedure, an alignment page does not automatically print out.  I went into printer properties to prompt it to print an alignment page.  The data goes to the printer and the print progress window shows up.  It sits at 0% and never goes forward.  However, when checking printer communication, the printer is online, ready, and the default printer, etc.

Other posts I've read (both by you and other people) indicate this could be a faulty cartridge.  So, I've submitted a damaged item request and am waiting on a response.  I'll let you know what comes of it :)

Mackenzie

• I am still having this problem with the incorrect cartridge message. I have tried all the suggestions I've seen listed on this board and others and none of the work. I love how Rick's advice throws out there the suggestion that anyone with this problem has refilled the cartridge, which at least in my case, is not true. I already have exchanged the cartridges at Staples and new cartridges have the same problem. The manager of the Staples acted like she has never seen or heard of this problem, which seems very unlikely as there are so many complaints all over the internet.  My conclusion is that the Dell printer is horribly made, unfixable and that the only solution is to replace it. I wish Dell or Staples, who they have distributing their ink, were actually interested in being helpful, but they seem not to be.

• EditorJacquie,

I suggest this as people just say the replaced their cartridge(s). They never seem to say if the were Dell Series cartridges, third party manfacturered cartridges or refilled cartridges.

The Dell Series cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's website.

Yes, Dell Series ink cartridges come with bad sensors in them. Since mackenziejhaugen said they bought them from Dell's Website, I know they are Dell Series cartridges. If they have the shipping slip that came with the ink, they can call the phone number on the slip and request a new one.

I had a different brand printer and used refilled cartridges. I didn't like the print quality when I printed a picture, so I decide to stick with brand name cartridges. People have come here and they actually use refilled or third party cartridges. The low ink message will ALWAYS be tthere but as long as the printer is printing, they're happy. If using third party cartridges and the printer stops working, the ink cartridges are the first place to look. They watched for the quality to fady, then had a refilled replacement cartridges ready to go in. Yes, they did this to save money. It you can get this to work, and some do, then they live with the low ink message, they're happy.

In closing, Dell Community Forums is mostly a Dell User's Forum. We are people that use Dell Computers and Products and may have had issues with ourselves and we volunteer our time to help others, so they can enjoy their Dell Products. Why I do this? I do this because I enjoy helping others and get GREAT satisfaction knowing that I was able to help someone. I have used the Forums to get help, too. I really appreciated it when the other people helped me fix my issue, which was an easy fix.

I just try to keep an open mind and suggest what I feel might be the problem, in this case the refillinf and third party cartridges can/cannot be a problem, depending on your tolerance level. I am really a very nice person and with the hours I work, I enjoy coming home after and undwind helping others get their computers/printers working again.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• No, it's not fixed, as far as I can tell.  I bought a new color cartridge for my 952 printer about 2 years ago.  That was the third cartridge I installed.  Starting at the beginning, I'd gotten the "right cartridge incorrect" message in less than a year's time with the cartridge that came with the printer when it first arrived.  I called service and was given a free second cartridge, but within 6 months it gave the "right cartridge incorrect" message again.  With this third cartridge, I got the "right cartridge incorrect" message in a couple months.  At that point I said, I'm sick of dealing with this, I'm only going to use this printer for scanning until I can afford to throw it away and get myself a new color printer/scanner from another company.  It's a lost cause and a waste of time to try to fix the problem.  No more Dell products for me.  I think they rushed this product to market and didn't fix the bugs in the hardware.

• I've had a Dell 946 for 3 yrs and it just came up with "Right cartridge incorrect".

Cannot use printer unless I take colour cartridge out so therefore cannot do colour printing

Switch on and off re boot computer many times Try to clean and realign cartridges, Try remove replace cartridges try to clean them

Always get same message there until I take out colour cartridge then can overide and print black only

I tried buying new cartridge from Dell and I still get the same message "Right cartridge incorrect".

Same old problem and I give up. Will go buy Canon? I thinkl?

• philipotinoz,

Just sounds like you got a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge, with a bad sensor.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

#DellRockStar

• I love how this "solution" is posted immediately any time someone has this problem with the ink cartridges with the Dell printers and there is the suggestion that everyone is refilling their cartridges. I wasted so much money buying new cartridges and tried this unplugging the brick etc numerous times to no avail. I fixed my Dell printer by throwing it out and replacing it with an Epson that works like a charm.

•  EditorJacquie,

If you have a better solution, since you're an editor, you should have plenty of resourses, could you please post the CORRECT solution, to share with others?

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Wow Rick. What a snarky response. But you being nasty to me, doesn't make Dell printers any better. And just to clarify I did post the correct solution:  throw out the Dell printer when this happens and buy something else.

And just to clarify I called customer service (who won't really talk to you unless you pay them of course) and looked all over discussion boards to find a fix. I tried everything that was suggested including replacing the ink cartridges twice (brand new ones not refills).  Took the brick out, cleaned the heads, etc etc.  Nothing worked. Dell seems unwilling to acknowledge that there is something wrong with their printers and has no solution for it.   Dell is more interested in shutting down complaints that making a quality product and taking care of their customers. The only solution to this problem is to buy a new printer. I got an Epson and it works like a charm.  Anyone reading this, don't go buy the new ink.

•  EditorJacquie,

Thank you for your input. If this is the correct answer, then person that started this thread can mark the correct answer, that way when others look for a solution, they can see what was done to correct the problem.

My experiences with any Inkjet Printer is to use the Brand name cartridges, Go and buy refilled cartridge and generic brand cartridges for your Epson, they may or may not work. If they don't work, then you'll have to try the Brand name cartridges to make sure it's not the cartridges. Most manufacturers of printers are now putting sensors in the ink cartridges so refilled and generic brand cartridges do NOT work.

I wish you luck with your new Epson Printer.

I am just a Dell User and do NOT work for Dell. I volunteer to help others so they can get their printer problems fixed. The satisfaction of being able to help someone else with their problems is enough reward.

Have you helped others with getting their problems fixed?

With closing, this is my opinion and may not be the opinion of Dell

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Responding to Rick's previous post, which interestingly didn't have a Reply option.

Rick, I don't understand why you feel the need to suggest that I used non-Dell cartridges or refilled cartridges which I did not.  I clearly stated in my post that I did not refill and, I will clarify further and say that I only used brand new Dell Cartridges. The problem still happened and when I replaced the cartridges, twice it didn't fix the problem. I spent more money on ink than on purchasing the new printer.   You are just being nasty for no reason whatsoever. I used only brand new Dell cartridges in my Dell printer and this problem happened.

Also, I did not accuse you of working for Dell. But the fact that you are a volunteer doesn't make your solution or suppositions correct. This piece of advice, which you have posted frequently, has probably sold many ink cartridges for Dell and fixed very few printers. And, also, nothing gives you the right to be nasty.