PowerConnect 6248P IP Phone dhcp issue

Network Switches

Network Switches
Information and ideas on Dell PowerConnect network switch solutions.

PowerConnect 6248P IP Phone dhcp issue

This question has suggested answer(s)

I am new to this forum.  My background is telephony but VOIP deployments require movement into IT realm.

I have a site with 3 - 6248P's on version 3.3.2.3 firmware.  The switches are stacked and vlans, routing, qos, are in place.  The issue is with dhcp and the ip phones.  The phones will reboot several times a day, re-registering with the call server and pulling new ip addresses each time - always pulling already assigned ip addresses from another phone, causing that phone to reboot, register - a domino effect.  When I have the phones addressing statically assigned they do not reboot.  I took an Adtran POE onsite and connected several phones to it and they pulled dhcp and stayed up without rebooting.  I changed the dhcp server to the call server and the phones reboot.  So, there appears to be an issue with the IP Phones and dhcp when connected to the Dell switches.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Danny

All Replies
  • Can you provide what model/manufacturer of phones you are connecting to the PC 6224?

Is the switch learning the mac address of the phone properly.  You can verify with the global command show arp

Console# show arp

Age Time (seconds)............................. 1200

Response Time (seconds)........................ 1

Retries........................................ 4

Cache Size..................................... 896

Dynamic Renew Mode............................ Enable

Total Entry Count Current / Peak.............. 1 / 1

Static Entry Count Configured / Active / Max.. 0 / 0 / 64

console#show arp switch

IP Address     MAC Address       Interface        Type        Age

----------            ----------------        -------------       -------     -----------

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)