Power Connect 6248 LAG setup

Network Switches

Network Switches
Information and ideas on Dell PowerConnect network switch solutions.

Power Connect 6248 LAG setup

• Hi there, I have 2 stacks of 4 switches to link . In order to link those 2 stacks I would like to use 2 Ethernets cables and do a link aggregation. Based on 62XXUG.PDF I have looked how to setup LAG. Which seems pretty easy. Define LAG name per ports. Questions: -Does someone as experience with LAG setup, if yes can you please provide big steps. -Is STP (spanning tree) needed when using LAG ? -Any Best Practice paper/doc on LAG setup ? Thanks in advance for your help. Best Regards. gmiga76
  • interface ethernet 1/g34
    channel-group 5 mode auto
    exit
    !
    interface ethernet 1/g36
    channel-group 5 mode auto
    exit
    interface port-channel 5
    description 'LAG to Other Switch'
    switchport mode general
    no switchport general acceptable-frame-type tagged-only
    switchport general allowed vlan add 2,4,8 tagged
    exit
  • Thanks for this reply, I am going to have a look at this. Is there a way to do this via web panel ? . Rgds. gmiga76
  • I'm sure there is, but I'm a CLI kinda guy and I never use the web interface on these switches.
  • No prob .-) I am CLI fan too, just harder to explain and to put it in documentation. .-) Rgds. gmiga76
  • Gmiga,

There's no LAG best practices that I'm aware of, so I guess you'd need to give more specific questions. One thing to keep in mind is that the LAG does not assume the properties of the ports it includes-so you'll need to make sure if you have VLANs on the individual ports, you'll need to move them to the port-channel interface.

Also, spanning-tree is important to take into account. Before implementing a LAG, spanning tree will block one of those ports. When port-channel takes over, it effectively shuts down those ports-but it's not uncommon for one to remain blocked by spanning-tree. So, it's usually best to physically disconnect the ports, then set the LAG. Spanning-tree will then pick up the individual LAG connection.

Let me know if you have more specific questions!

• Steve,

Thanks to you and other members for your reply.

I have setup a LAG 1/g2 1/g4  assigned to channel-group 1 via CLI. I cannot ping my device on the other side.

No VLANs involved in this setup .

interface ethernet 1/g2
    channel-group 1 mode on

interface ethernet 1/g4
    channel-groupe 1 mode on

show interfaces port-channel returns

pwc62485#show interfaces port-channel

Channel   Ports
    -------   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ch1       Active: 1/g2, 1/g4

Any idea why it does not work?.  My device on the other side is an EMC appliance supporting LACP .

Best Regards.

• Can you show us the portion of the configuration where you defined port-channel interface 1.  If you haven't done this part:

interface port-channel 5
    description 'LAG to Other Switch'
    switchport mode general
    switchport general allowed vlan add 2,4,8 tagged (You define VLAN's you need)

add this to bind the physical ports to the logical LAG port.

• Sorry, even with no other vlan but vlan 1, I think you will still need to allow vlan 1 through the virtual LAG port with the vlan allowed statement.

• Thanks for your answers.

Just to be sure.

This means I ll have to allow default vlan which is vlan 1

interface port-channel 1
    description 'LAG to EMC appliance'
    switchport mode general
    switchport general allowed vlan add 1 tagged

Does this seems ok for you.

I have an additional question: How to delete those LAG created.

Many thanks for you help.