How to Set Bandwith limit on every port (powerconnect 5324)

Network Switches

Network Switches
Information and ideas on Dell PowerConnect network switch solutions.

How to Set Bandwith limit on every port (powerconnect 5324)

• Hello,

Currently I`m using powerconnect 5324 manageable switches. I try to set and configure a bandwith limit for every port on powerconnect 5324 and the problem is I'm not sure how to configure this thing. I hope u guys can help me.

Thank you.

• The PowerConnect 5324 will not be capable of limiting the bandwidth, per-se.  Instead, the unit will able to allocate a specific amount of bandwidth for a designated queue.  The PowerConnect 5324 will acknowledge Layer 802.1P VLAN tags (CoS) or Layer 3 DSCP values and prioritize the values based on the configuration.

The configuration requires that you determine the method of prioritization (Layer 2 or Layer 3) then enable the global "Trust Mode" of the device, CoS or DSCP.  Once you know the values that will receive priority, you will assign the value into a specific queue.  You must then allocate a specific amount of bandwidth for each of the designated queues.  The 5324 offers two different types of queuing algorithms, Strict Priority (default) or Weighted-Round-Robin (WRR).  Though the parameters are configured globally, prioritization is performed on a per-port basis and performed only when the interface is congested. 

Here is a link to the User's Guide that outlines how to configure the PowerConnect 5324 --

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/pc5324/en/UG/qos.htm#1133796