VRRP Interoperability

Network Switches

Network Switches
Information and ideas on Dell PowerConnect network switch solutions.

VRRP Interoperability

This question is answered

Hi

Is it possible to run VRRP between 2 different models of PowerConnect switches. e.g. 62xx and 80xx.

any advice, much appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • Daniel, and anyone else who may find this of interest..

i tried out the setup just as mentioned above, and it works!

Obviously, there are other things to take into account such as those highlighted by cerbera above, but as far as 80xx and 62xx forming a VRRP relation/group between them goes, they do it successfully.

cheers

All Replies
  • There's no technical reason why ypu can't mix PCT6200,7000,8000,8100 in a VRRP cluster, but keep in mind that they differ significanty in L3 scalability/processing power, plus  there may be large amounts of traffic traversing interswitch links, so if you have 10gig uplink coming into an 8000, but the routing instance for that traffic is running on a 6200 connected by a gig, you could have some serious performance challenges....

• I would recommend using same model switches with the most recent firmware on them. However both  the 62xx and the 80xx use Broadcom firmware, so it very well may work, but there is no documentation on this kind of setup.

If you try this out, please keep us posted on what the outcome of the setup is.

Thanks

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• thanks guys, much appreciated.

the proposed solution is in a Primary/DR site setup. it will see a stack of 80xx as a Primary Site Core, and a stack of 62xx as a DR site Core. the sites are connected via a LES 1G circuit, a layer 2 ethernet handoff, which will terminate into the Cores at either end. it is over this link that i intend to run VRRP for an intended stretched VLAN.

i will let you know how this goes.

appreciate your feedback on this, and welcome any further discussion.

• Daniel, and anyone else who may find this of interest..

i tried out the setup just as mentioned above, and it works!

Obviously, there are other things to take into account such as those highlighted by cerbera above, but as far as 80xx and 62xx forming a VRRP relation/group between them goes, they do it successfully.

cheers

• That is great information to have! Thank you for checking back in and updating us.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)