Powerconnect 3524 VLAN Setup

Network Switches

Network Switches
Information and ideas on Dell PowerConnect network switch solutions.

Powerconnect 3524 VLAN Setup

This question is answered

I'm trying to set up two VLANs on a Powerconnect 3524 but I'm having trouble selecting the range of ports. I need two VLANs set up with 12 ports each.

I've typed in:

interface range ethernet 1/g1-1/g12 

but I get

wrong number of parameters or invalid range, six or characters entered

How is my syntax wrong? I found a document entitled 'VLAN-Based Network Segregation' that is pretty helpful but it doesn't address the 35xx series powerconnects.

Here's the link to that document: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pwcnt/en/app_note_8.pdf

Anything help would be much appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • You would need to enter the management vlan interface.  Then exit back out to global to set the gateway if still needed.

console#config

console(config)# interface vlan 1

console(config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.2 /24

console(config-if)# exit

console(config)# ip default gateway 192.168.1.1 /24

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

All Replies
  • interface range ethernet 1/e1-12  

or

interface range ethernet 1/g1-4

Both these commands are working on our test switch.  

1.  The switch is limited to just 4 possible Gigabit ports.

2.  Leave out the 1/g on the end of the port range

Hope this helps,

Keep us updated.

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

• Still getting the same message : | I had used the wizard to set up the inital ip, subnet, and gateway address. Perhaps, I need to start from fresh and avoid the set up wizard completely?

• Yes,  I would start over and not use the wizard.  Also,  I would recommend updating the firmware on the switch.  Here is a link to the current firmware download.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

• I deleted the startup configuration, then proceeded to set up the switch again. Problem is when I'm not running the wizard I can't seem to set the ip and subnet for the switch itself. I see that in config mode you can use 'ip default-gateway' to set the default gateway but there isn't a command for setting the ip address. Where is this capability?

• You would need to enter the management vlan interface.  Then exit back out to global to set the gateway if still needed.

console#config

console(config)# interface vlan 1

console(config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.2 /24

console(config-if)# exit

console(config)# ip default gateway 192.168.1.1 /24

• Thanks alot! I did get it set up correctly. FYI, to set up the ethernet range on the first vlan(after creating it) I had to input

interface range ethernet e1-24