Can I get a 8011.g router to network if I have only a 56k Modem connection?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Can I get a 8011.g router to network if I have only a 56k Modem connection?

• I am a newbie at networking and would appreciate some help from the "exberts". I want to network a Dell Dimension 4550 and an Inspirion 600m to share files, play games and share an internet connection at my home using only dial up on POTS (can't afford DSL,no cable, and only one phone line). Both run Win XP, have v92 modems and NIC and the notebook is Centrino with 8011g Dell TrueMobile 8011BG internal card. So, what is my best and most inexpensive option? An 8011.g router with 4 ethernet ports would be great-$60 to $80, firewall, WEP, and just plug in my co-located desktop which would not have to be turned on for the laptop to access the internet. But I seem to be hearing that routers will not work with dial up modems since most are now win modems and even if I could get one to hook up to a serial port on the router, I would have problems getting it to hang up. Can I get a router to work in this situation? If not, what do I need to go to? I'd like to not have to have the desktop on all the time just for my son to be able to surf on his laptop. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need to get or do? Thank you for your time. Ken
  • Your best solution would probably be a router running a modem. Some routers even contain a modem.

I used a D-Link di704 for over a year at work to share a dial up internet connection with several computers.

If you can't find a router with wireless and modem capabilities, just use one with modem capabilities and plug an access point into it.

As to the hand up issue, the router will probably have settings to set the idle time before hang up -- just like you would do if using a computer and ICS.
  • You are correct in believing that a winmodem will not work. You need an external modem, better yet an external modem with a LAN input like a Actiontec Dual PC modem. This modem (actually a router/modem) has two Ethernet LAN inputs and a V.92 output. You connect it to a Local Area connection on one computer and set it up for your Internet dialup connection. Then connect one of it's LAN ports to a WAN port on any router/gateway.This modem is IP controlled from your browser and is easily connected and DISCONNECTED. This will allow you to use a router of your choice with a dial-up connection. Also you don't need ICS or any desktop to be operational while you use it. All computers on your network can use it either singularly or at the same time. Of course this is not as good as a dsl or a cable connection, but it will work as an interm arrangement. I am using it, with a Linksys WRT54G, to write this message. 

Message Edited by ForumLurker on 01-13-2004 02:40 PM

• I am doing exactly what you are wanting to do.

I am not aware of any 802.11g router with dialup modem support, so I purchased an SMC7004BR which has print server and serial port for an external 56k modem.  You may have to find one on Ebay since they are no longer offered new.

To get 802.11g, you will need to purchase a wireless router that can also act as an access point... almost all wireless routers I've ever found can do this.  OR you can buy an access point, but they cost more than routers for some silly reason.  To turn a router into an Access Point, simply Disable DHCP in the wireless router, and assign it a static IP address OUTSIDE of your main router's automatic DHCP IP range.  Since my SMC7004BR's DHCP server automatically assigns IP's from 192.168.123.100 thru 192.168.123.199, I set the wireless router's IP address to 192.168.123.99.

Then voila!  That's it!  The only other things to do is to configure your WEP security (if you use it), make sure all SSID's match on the wireless router and your wireless cards... basic stuff.

I would highly recommend the SMC7004BR as your dialup router because it has DIAL/HANG UP button right on the main status screen.

• To GNatGoSplat,

great answer!  I am wrestling with a MN-700 wireless router from Microsoft and have just found out it is defective (won't take a static IP).  One question I have though, can you enable ICS on a XP machine an internal modem that is connected to an ethernet hub port (not the wide area modem) on the network with ?  If DHCP and NAT are turned off and everthing has a static IP it should work......right?

ji

• This is different from the original problem posted, but yes you can use ICS with XP with an internal modem and turn off DHCP on your router then use a static IP. In fact I recommend a static IP in order to reduce disconnects. I don't know how you're going to turn off NAT since this is a built-in function of your router. Also using this setup you will have to leave the computer that you enabled ICS on running in order to connect any other computer on your network to the Internet. 
  • Thanks for your response.

I think the MN-700 router firewall device I am using disables NAT when you disable DHCP.  I just got the new one and have the system up and running using DHCP.  I will let it stabilize for a couple of days then try to setup the static IPs.  If that works then the next step will be to enable ICS.  We will see.......... 

ji

• The SMC7004AWBR also has the modem support and printserver, as does the D-Link DI-713p - both are 802.11b 11mb routers.