Dell Dimension 5150 desktop computer with wireless capability

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Dell Dimension 5150 desktop computer with wireless capability

• I have an elderly Dell Dimension 5150 desktop computer. It should have wireless capability. I purchased a wifi usb 2.0 adapter, but have been unable to set it up following on-screen instructions.

Running Win XP Home edition.

I have reason to believe that OS may have been comprimised by a virus previously; that is why I set it aside. Now I am attempting to reactivate it.

The OS seems to work normally, but I need internet access to confirm this.

I have a functioning wifi router in my house; it works normally with two other computers.

I am attempting to confirm if the Win XP OS needs to be replaced before purchase.

How can I confirm the OS is shot and I must purchase a new one?

Any input would be helpful.

• padyboy,

Because of the virus, did you reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Desktop System Software and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop System Software and the chipset drivers and install the drivers in order.

What type of security are you using in your wireless router?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I attempted to reinstall os from correct disks received with computer:

-Error message in windows setup ( used cd to start, boot from BIOS): 'The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was unable to locate the file D:\386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRAD\.DLL Thesystem cannot find the file specified'.

I could not find the COA,  but from 'System' I obtained 76477-OEM-0011903-00102. I seem to recall this as the required Microsoft key. However, they stated a 25 character number was required. I got the message 'Product key is invalid. Please try again'.

I have gotten spurious error messages:

On bootup-'Files waiting to be written to the cd'

'Control panel failed: Intel (R) Proset : Resources not available'

HP 'Smart Web Printing" keeps trying to open, although it had been deleted.

'Error 1706' seen frequently

Once, I even saw the thermometer moving right to left.

System Restore to June 2010 (farthest back I could go) failed to help.

All this leads me to believe I must wipe this hd and attempt reinstallation of os. I have prepared the cd 'dban-2.2.6-1586.iso for this purpose. I have the cd-rom boot disks obtained from MS site. How reliable is this wipe process? Is reinstall routine after wipe?

My system: dimension 5150, Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, sp3, BIOS Revision 5.19; 2/10/2010; core version 08.006.15, Dimension DM051 Intel (R), Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 0.99GB RAM, Physical Address Extension,

I appreciate your patience, especially with the length of this email.

• Today I again tried to reinstall the Win XP os on my Dell 5150.

I apparently had the option to reinstall from within Windows, but program would not accept product key obtained from top of computer case.

I then tried to boot from the os disk, but BIOS would not boot when boot drive was set to cd-rom.

I had downloaded setup disks (6) obtained from MS website. These held the drivers necessary to enable cd-rom. Would not boot from the A:/ drive. Received "Boot I/O Error insert another disk".

I then connected an external floppy drive. This showed up as B:/ in Computer within XP, but not found in BIOS when selected internal or other floppy (B:/, I had presumed.

The internal floppy worked on this computer previously; it had been obtained from Dell. The eternal one works on my Win 7 desktop.

If this system will not boot from the A:/ drive, and boot drive cannot be selected, is this drive shot, unsalvageable?

I don't know what else to do. I suppose a replacement 250GB hard drive would not be that expensive, if absolutely necesary. I was hoping to reactivate this Dimension 5150 for as little $$ as possible.

• padyboy,

If you used Dell OEM Disks, no product key was needed. If you live in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA If in another Country, contact Dell Tech Support in your Country.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I have wiped drive, reinstalled win xp, installed drivers in recommended order. Installed sp3. All appears to be working normally, except that I cannot connect to the Internet using my Apple Airport router. This connection was functional before wipe.

I must now locate the correct driver for my Dell NIC.

It is Intel hardware, thought I had obtained the correct driver, but not.  The file INPENUXP.cab from the 5150 website accomplished nothing. It appeared to contain compressed graphics files, not drivers. I decompressed to Dell folder; there were several, but to no avail.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.Smile