Dell Inspiron 531 desk top wireless adapter

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Dell Inspiron 531 desk top wireless adapter

This question is not answered

D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - 802.11b, 802.11g

A friend has just moved. The telephone point is in the next room to the computer which is a Dell Inspiron 531 AMD X2 Processor 5000+, so he is trying to set it up wirelessly with the router ( a Sky router) attached to the telephone point and a wireless adapter plugged in to the computer ( in the next room ). Would someone please advise which wireless adapter would  work? I have seen advertised a D-Link Airplus G DWL-G122 Network adapter Hi-speed USB-802.11b,802.11g -might that work? I have also seen reference to network cards-would one be needed or any other modifications need to be made? Many thanks

All Replies
  • M Gadois,

Can a laptop see the SSID? Can it connect?

If the Sky Router does not have wireless, you may need to attach a wireless router after it.

A wireless card would be nice to install. You insert the disk and install the drivers first, then power down the computer, unplug it from the wall, the press and hold the power switch for 30 seconds to discharge the system. Insert the wireless card in an empty slot, if one is available. Plug the computer back in and power it on. Then follow the instructions.

Another route is to use a USB wireless adapter that will work on your system.

A wireless N router set for the wireless N band only, will not recieve signals from wireless b/g devices. A wireless G router is usually recommended unless you have a dual-band router.

I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to makie connecting easier.

Rick 

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Many thanks. I shall advise that we use a lap top as you suggest to establish whether there is a signal and it seems that I should check that the Sky router is a G band router before investing in a wireless adapter. I presume that the "G" in the name of the D Link adapter refers to the G band and that it would be siutable.

• M Gadois,

Wireless N brodcasts on 5.8gh range.

Wireless b/g broadcasts on the 2.4gh range.

Some wireless adapters work on both frequencies. A dual-band router can use both ranges to connect. Some people but wireless N routers and their wireles b/g devices cannot connect, unless they drop them back to the g mode, then they lose the speed they wanted the N for to begin with.

IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia explains things better than I can.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!