Inspiron 1525: Re-installing Network Drivers

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Inspiron 1525: Re-installing Network Drivers

This question is not answered

My daughter's Inspiron 1525 crashed an would only open with a Black screen and a cursor. Using the back-up discs, I re-installed Vista and the other available applications. However, she cannot access the internet, as the message says that there is no Internet Adaptor! The drivers do not seem to be on the discs; can this be correct or have I missed something.

If so, is there a way to download the files to another laptop, copy them to a disc and install on her laptop.

I'm a bit confused, so any help would be appreciated

All Replies
  •  Jay Mack,

Did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Rick,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought that I deleted the drivers using the Control Panel, Uninstalling "Dell Driver Download Manager" but I'm not sure if this was effective. l had the feeling that when I was re-installing from the disc in the correct order that the drives were still there from my original installation. Obviously, if that was the case they would still be in the wrong order.

Could that be the case and is there another way to delete the drives that I installed in the wrong order?

I noticed too that the driver names referred to on the Dell website weren't exactly the same as those shown on the laptop when I installed the Dell Driver Download Manager. Does ths matter very much and should I just download the drivers with a tick against them?

Sorry for being so dopey but I'm very much an amateur at this but my daughter thinks I can work wonders. Oh dear!

Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

• Jay,

You should be able to start with the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers, then go down the list.

The Desktop/Notebook Utility needs to be installed first(if applicable), then the chipset drivers. If they are NOT installed first, then the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Idea Hint Idea When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
    Chipset or SMBus driver
    Processor Driver (if applicable)
    Video
    Audio (sound)
    Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
    Modem
    Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• Rick,

Thanks again for your help.

I have tried loading the drivers from the backup disc in the order that you, and the Dell website, have advised but I still cannot access my wireless network. The reason is always that the "network adaptor" is not installed.

I wondered if I should uninstall the drivers and start from scratch because I'm sure that some of the drivers from the first time I installed are still there. If you say that the Utility and Chipset should be installed first, maybe I should remove them all and put them back in the right order. Presumably, there are drivers that operate other applications, such as Vista. Would i be able to isolate and remove the ones for network access or could I remove them all and re-install later?

My problem is that I don't know how to uninstall all the drivers. Can you help me there or suggest something else to try?

Sorry to be a pest but I feel that I'm so close but something minor is causing the problem.

Jay

• Jay,

If you have all the files and folders off your daughters computer, you could then try...

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

It's usually the easiest and quickest method. All the drivers will be installed from the factory image.

Longer method is How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

#DellRockStar

• Rick,

Just a not to thank you for all yout help.

Eventually, I had to restore the laptop to the factory settings. I made a mess of that too, I'm afraid, as I backed up the wrong files and lost my daughter's personal study documents, pictures and music.

All was not lost, however. I did not realise that you could recover files from a re-formatted drive but it is possible.

Some posters might be interested to know that there are applications that can do this.

I went to Cnet and downloaded Pandora (it is Freeware) and I managed to recover the files. You don't get the file names but they can be sorted and put back in folders with a bit of time and effort.

Anyway, that's an aside but thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

Jay

• Jay,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back. If you read STEP 1, it stated how to backup all files and folders. This should be a normal practice, in case your computer would fail, would you have all the files and folders you cannot afford to lose.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar