Connecting a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC to wireless internet router

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Connecting a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC to wireless internet router

This question is not answered

Hi..

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computer running Windows XP (SP3) and is also fitted with a V.92 Data Fax Modem. This PC is 5 years old.

I am thinking about upgrading my broadband connection and was wondering if it possible to connect a wireless router using an ethernet cable to the PC. Basically there seems to be two possible sockets where the ethernet cable could be connected.

There seems to be a spare socket on the modem. Could the ethernet cable to be plugged in here?

There is also a network device socket at the back of the PC next to the four USB sockets. Would the ethernet plug in here?

Regards..

Mike

All Replies
  • Mike,

Your setup should look like...

wall > ISP modem/router > wireless router(if any) > wired/wireless

If using DSL, a DSL filter must be on all devices, phones, answering machines, faxes, etc..., everything except the DSL modem.

You may share a DSL Filter

Wall > DSL Filter > splitter > Multiple devices

The ethernet jack looks similar to a phone jack except it's bigger. The ethernat cable gets plugged into one of the numbered ports in the wireless router and then gets attached to the computer.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!