Network Controller Driver

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Network Controller Driver

This question is not answered

I have a Dell Inspiron M5010 that runs Windows 7 64-bit. Due to some technical difficulties I had to reinstall the OS. Now my computer will not connect wirelessly to my wireless router. I have connected to 2 different routers using an ethernet cable and can connect just fine. While looking in the Device Manager I noticed that my network controller had the yellow triange with the exclaimation point. After opening up the properties it has indicated that"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" I have gone to the Dell website, but I do not see anything listed under the drivers for my computer and when I do a search I get several hundred pages. Does anyone know which drive I can use to clear up this problem.  I have downloaded all the drivers in order according to the Dell instructions but I am still having issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Wink

All Replies
  •  snookiemil,

When you reinstalled the system, did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems If you cannot find the Windows 7 64-bit drivers, try installing the Vista 64-bit(or XP 64-bit) drivers in the Compatibility mode

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I did install the Dell - Utility first and the chipsets next (AMD - Driver & Realtek Driver). I printed out the list from the website so that I could follow it. Should I uninstall and try to reinstall everything again or look at the compatibility list?

•  snookiemil,

Yes, with everything disconnected except the mouse and keyboard, try installing the drivers in order using the Vista drivers in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode. If you'rfe installing the XP drivers, then try the XP SP3 compatibility mode. Just go down the list.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Idea Hint Idea When downloading the drivers, make a folder for each drivers and name it with the device it belongs with to make it easier to install them in the proper order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software(if applicable)
    Chipset or SMBus driver
    Processor Driver (if applicable)
    Video
    Audio (sound)
    Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
    Modem
    Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

#DellRockStar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

• I have reinstalled all the drivers in the correct order and still the network control drive can not be found. Do you have another suggestions?

• Nevermind...I have realized my mistake...I downloaded them but did not install them. DUH!!! Tongue Tied

• After my brain turned on and I actually installed all the drivers, my computer is now connecting to my wireless router.

Thanks for all of your help!  Big Smile

•  snookiemil,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back. Glad you got your brain working! Wink Don't leave home without it, just kidding.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar