Wireless connected but cannot get ip address

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Wireless connected but cannot get ip address

This question is not answered

Hi Guys, I know his has been covered all over the place but I can't seem to get this fixed, I do know my way around a computer but I'm no IT tech, nothing I try has worked. I'm trying to fix a friends inspiron 1501 pp23la. It has a wireless 1390 WLAN card. I'm trying to connect it to a public wireless hotspot but while it does detect the network and has a good to excellent signal it won't bring up the splash page to log on to his account or connect to the net in any way, I am on the same hotspot and connecting fine. I have tried uninstalling the WLAN card and updating its drivers. I have tried the repair tool and also ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. I have also tried netsh winsock reset and no change. Obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically is turned ON. When I do ipconfig /all it gives me

Windows IP Configuration

Primary DNS suffix

Node type mixed

IProuting enabled NO

WINS proxy enabled NO

Wthernet adapter Wireless Network Connection

Connection specific DNS suffix:

Description: Dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini card

Physical address 00-17-31-9F-64-49

DHCP enabled: YES

Autoconfiguration enabled YES

Autoconfiguration IP address 169.254.147.49

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway: 169.254.147.49

Have also tried manually setting the IP address to one similar to mine (10.17.31.66) just changed the last numbers to 69.

I don't know, I'm stumped and may have dug myself into a hole. I was unlucky enough to have just used his computer, even though I didn't touch anything I'm still getting the *what did you do to my computer* look.

S.O.S.

Jamie

All Replies
  • Jamie,

Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 60 seconds. Turn on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then turn on the wireless router(if any).

Restart your computer and try to connect.

What happens?

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Well it looks like it was the fault of the router on the providers side, I couldn't get to it to check and thought it must have been a problem on the laptop side. Thanks for the advice, the guy from the broadband company came out .... he probably turned off the router and back on!

• j4mballs,

Glad you got it working! Yes Thanks for posting back.

When I saw this

Autoconfiguration IP address 169.254.147.49

That is a generic ip address. It says you're connected when you really aren't. I had this problem during electrical storms and power flickers. Turning off the ISP modem/router and the wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds, usually restets everything. I have mine on the same power strip, so I just turned them both off, then back on at the same time.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!