Unable to connect to wireless network on my Dell Dimension 4600

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

Unable to connect to wireless network on my Dell Dimension 4600

This question is not answered

Hello all,

I recently reformatted my Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP because of a virus.  I was able to connect to the internet fine by plugging straight into the router.  However, I just moved home and am trying to connect to my parent's wireless network.  Apparently I am missing drivers for wireless connections because I can not connect to any wireless networks.  I checked device manager and under network adapters I only see Firewire and Intel (R) Pro 10/100 VE.  

Any suggestions?  All of the drivers I have tried on Dell's site don't seem to fix this.

Thanks!

Christian

All Replies
  • You have a wifi card?  Desktops don't normally come with them. If you had one, then you need to install the driver for it which you can obtain from the manufacturer's website if you don't have the CD.

If you re-installed Windows XP then you need to read http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=179256#Issue5

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• I know I have a wifi card because I have connected to wireless networks on this computer before.  However, I am not sure what I have or how to locate it.  All I have on the back of my PC is a black antenna with no information on it.  

Any ideas?  Thanks for the quick response.  

• Since I am not clairvoyant, I haven't a clue what you have. You might want to take a look in the Device Manager and see if there is more info about it there or take a part you PC and look at the PCI card.

my Dells:

• Yeah I may have to open it up and check inside there.  I have something called a WAN Miniport, is that related to wireless?

• Okay I opened it up and found I have a LinkSys 2.4 Ghz 802.11b Wireless-B PCI Adapter

Model number: WMP11

• I installed the software and the driver and it still won't work.  Is a LinkSys router not compatible with Verizon Fios?

• Did you read that link I posted ?????

my Dells:

• Yes, I did.  I am still having trouble.  My apologies.

I realize by looking at my router's options that it is compatible, however I still can't connect.  I enter the SSID and WEP key and it keeps telling me that the device failed to make changes.

I know that SSID broadcasting is turned on and also that my router accepts 802.11b/g.  

• It looks like my wireless card might be dead.  I can't get the power LED to turn green.  I will go to Best Buy and buy a USB Wireless Adapter.