How to turn on Bluetooth adapter in Dell Latitude D620?

Networking, Internet, Wireless

Networking, Internet, Wireless
From Wi-Fi to wired Ethernet, mobile broadband to modems: it's all spoken here.

How to turn on Bluetooth adapter in Dell Latitude D620?

This question is not answered

I've been trying unsuccessfully for weeks to find out how to turn on the Bluetooth adapter (turn Bluetooth radio on) on my Dell Latitude D620.

Firstly does the D620 have a built in Bluetooth adapter? I've done a search on the web and it appears it does. Also I see a Bluetooth symbol just above my keyboard, but it is not lighted up. How do I turn it on?

I went to Control Panel, Device Manager -> Network adapters, but I don't see any Bluetooth devices listed there.

Do I need to install some software? I went to support.dell.com and downloaded the installer for Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal Module driver. But when I install it, it is tries to install the Vista Profile Pack, and it fails because it "Could not find compatible bluetooth chip on your system" and "DFU install failed with returncode 137".

Really hope someone can help me. Thank you.

All Replies
  • Have you recently updated your O/S? did you create a restore point?

I have been fighting on this issue for too long as well. I'm guess that as a fellow legacy product user - we are no longer important to Dell. They much prefer to talk to people who have bought the latest models. I have this error on my machine too. I have been ignored and often Customer Services just put the phone down, but hey I wish you all the best with this one  anyways.

• I had a D600 which had bluetooth, and it actually had a little lighted bluetooth logo on the notebook itself (above the keybaord, under the display panel, near the hinge) which would light up blue when the radio was actuve. I didn't have any bluetooth devices, and I couldn't actually find a good way to turn the bluetooth radio off except to disable it via the device manage. You may also have a Bluetooth icon in the control panel for it, so it's worth a look there.

• meatmog - No I haven't ever done a restore of my current system.

disord3r - I went to the Dell site with the full specs of my laptop here and here. It says that the Latitude D620 comes with Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth internal wireless card but it is OPTIONAL. How do I find out if this optional component is actually in my laptop? Yes I have that Bluetooth logo in that same position on top of my keyboard. But the light is off. I read somewhere that Bluetooth is supposed to be turned on when I turn on my wireless switch (on the left side of my laptop). Well my WiFi is on but the Bluetooth light is still off.

• hi dear its simple first of all u have to turn on this device, and for that look at left side of your notebook, there is a sliding button just push it away and here is ur bluetooth lighted,, now install driver according to the windows version u have in your computer.... bye bye

• If you are still looking for the answer, which I just discovered myself....

The BIOS, under the Wireless heading, is where you turn the Bluetooth radio on and off. At least on the Latitude D620 and D630.

The big surprise is that you can (apparently) turn it on  in the BIOS, even if THERE IS NO BLUETOOTH CARD INSTALLED!

The bluetooth cardspace is at the far left under the bezel above the keyboard. pop up the right end and gently lift up the bezel to see if you have the card installed.

It was an option, not standard equipment.

• DELL D620 Bluetooth Adapter

I have a D620 that I wanted to have a Bluetooth mouse connect to.  After reading the other posts, I pulled the bezel from my D620.  There is a space where the Bluetooth adapter should go, under the left side of the bezel but no adapter.

Fortunately, I have other D620's for parts and I was able to locate a non functioning D620 with a Bluetooth adapter.  I removed it using instructons from DELL.  It was quick and easy (but the directions really helped).  I installed the adapter into the working D620 and set the BIOS (under Wireless) to enabled.

Started the computer and Bluetooth indicator (right hinge of monitor) lit up (blue BTW).  From there, it was a simple matter of getting the mouse recognized by the OS (Win7).  Mouse works really well.

Good Luck to All!

Dig

• multiplex77

I've been trying unsuccessfully for weeks to find out how to turn on the Bluetooth adapter (turn Bluetooth radio on) on my Dell Latitude D620.

Firstly does the D620 have a built in Bluetooth adapter? I've done a search on the web and it appears it does. Also I see a Bluetooth symbol just above my keyboard, but it is not lighted up. How do I turn it on?

I went to Control Panel, Device Manager -> Network adapters, but I don't see any Bluetooth devices listed there.

Do I need to install some software? I went to support.dell.com and downloaded the installer for Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Internal Module driver. But when I install it, it is tries to install the Vista Profile Pack, and it fails because it "Could not find compatible bluetooth chip on your system" and "DFU install failed with returncode 137".

Really hope someone can help me. Thank you.

• just go to msconfig

start -> type "msconfig" ->enter

In the window  do as follows....

• the bluetooth device on this model only works if the model was ordered with bluetooth capability when it was ordered from the factory otherwise it is just a useless icon on the computer

• 1. The D620 (and D630) does not have Bluetooth "built-in". The optional Bluetooth module is under the power switch bezel above the keyboard., if there is one. Unfortunately, you cannot tell in the BIOS if a Bluetooth card is installed. Any claim that it "built-in" is wrong. 2. If the blue-lit Bluetooth logo on the right lid hinge is not lit, you don't have a Bluetooth card. Presuming, of course, there's not a problem with the card or motherboard. 3. You turn Bluetooth on and off with the Wireless switch on left side of computer. If you have Bluetooth, that is. 4. Turning wireless switch on/off causes Bluetooth to appear/disappear in Device manager. 5. There is no software needed for the 350 module. Windows has the driver. Your last sentence tells you that there is no Bluetooth chip. So look for yourself under the bezel.
  • The Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth module (Broadcom) can be bought quite cheap from the likes of eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=optiplex+760+windows+7&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R10&_armrs=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdell+wireless+355&_nkw=dell+wireless+355&_sacat=0

Replacement is easy just open the hinge cover and pop it in place.

Although the Bluetooth 350 (Toshiba) and 360 (Toshiba) Bluetooth modules are also compatible with this system they are not recommended as they are not compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 as Toshiba didn't release a newer driver.

The Broadcom Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module is supported by using the Broadcom Bluetooth Update:

https://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Go restart your computer and select F2 when the startup screen appears to go into Set Up. Go all the way down the options to "Wireless" and select wireless switch. Turn the switch OFF for ALL devices. Then your Bluetooth and Wifi drivers will automatically be enabled when you reboot. Be sure to leave the ENABLER turned ON.

I had to do this on a Latitude 620 when the WIFI/Bluetooth switch froze and refused to work anymore.

• In the bios its turn off and there is no way for it to turn it on... The card I have is new its the same card in this discussion 

• In the bios its turn off and there is no way for it to turn it on... The card I have is new its the same card in this discussion